Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
The Accounting team at Planet is seeking an extremely motivated and experienced Senior Accountant as we continue to scale and grow. As a Senior Accountant at Planet, you are someone who is able to roll up your sleeves for a hands-on experience supporting the month end close for a company that creates meaningful change. The responsibilities extend beyond reconciliations to also include managing the manufacturing corporate card activities, certain business tax compliance and driving process improvements. To be successful in this role, you must have strong accounting knowledge, pay strong attention to detail, and embrace challenges as opportunities for success to expand and grow with the company.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Manage new vendor and vendor modification process
- Responsible for processing payments, including wires, ACH, and checks
- Manage manufacturing corporate card activities
- Assist on managing Singapore operations
- Responsible for month-end general ledger close processes and activities including the preparation and review of journal entries, balance sheet reconciliations, and supporting schedules
- Analyze expenses to ensure they are recorded appropriately on a monthly basis
- Assist on labor capitalization in various areas, such as internal use software, satellite building and commissioning efforts
- Develop and maintain desktop procedures for on-going accounting activities
- Assist with certain business tax filings and other compliance items
- Assist with compiling and preparing support required for annual audits
- Recommend changes and assist in driving improvements on accounting processes, documentation, and procedures
- Act as backup for other team members with areas of work including accounts payable, payroll, and tax compliance
- Support ad hoc projects as needed
What You Bring:
- A high degree of ownership over projects and results
- Ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and follow through on tasks
- Strong attention to detail, accuracy and data integrity; excellent reconciliation skills
- Team-oriented mindset and a desire to continuously learn and improve
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or other quantitative major
- 3 - 7 years of accounting experience
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Positive, get-it-done attitude and agile approach to problem solving
- Experience with Netsuite or equivalent ERP system
- Advanced Excel spreadsheet skills
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Compensation (For Colorado Applicants Only):
The base pay range targeted for this position in Colorado is: $81,000- $109,800. This role is eligible for equity.
The actual offer, including the compensation package, is determined based on multiple factors, including experience, location, and other business considerations.
Planet is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not able to work from a state where Planet is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.