Tax Director at Wish
Wish is a mobile e-commerce platform that flips traditional shopping on its head. We connect hundreds of millions of people with the widest selection of delightful, surprising, and-most importantly-affordable products delivered directly to their doors. Each day on Wish, millions of customers in more than 160 countries around the world discover new products. For our over 1 million merchant partners, anyone with a good idea and a mobile phone can instantly tap into a global market.
We're fueled by creating unique products and experiences that give people access to a new type of commerce, where all are welcome. If you've been searching for a supportive environment to chase your curiosity and use data to investigate the questions that matter most to you, this is the place.
Wish is seeking a Tax Director who will head our tax team. The position will be responsible for all aspects of global and domestic tax planning, structuring, compliance and reporting and be part of the Finance team located in our corporate San Francisco office. This position requires an experienced, strategic, and business-oriented leader with strong communication skills. The ideal candidate is passionate about Wish and e-commerce, and has the ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment. The role will work closely with both internal Finance and Accounting and other functional teams as well as external advisor, auditors and government agencies as needed. The Tax Director position will be located at our headquarters office in San Francisco, CA or remote and report to the Chief Accounting Officer.
What you'll be doing:
- Lead a global tax team along with management of external tax advisory resources.
- Lead and oversee the day-to-day global tax accounting, planning, compliance, and policy functions.
- Lead all aspects of the Company's worldwide income tax provision and financial statement disclosures
- Forecast quarterly and annual effective tax rates
- Ensure proper and timely completion of domestic and international direct and indirect tax returns, including all related analysis and support
- Monitor and analyze tax regulatory and compliance developments, accounting pronouncement , tax law changes and its applicability to Wish (sales tax, VAT, international digital taxes etc)
- Manage relationships with external tax advisors, external audit tax function and investors.
- Manage tax compliance for federal consolidated and state tax returns and ensure the accurate, timely filing of all Corporate tax returns
- Plan for and develop the overall tax and compliance calendar and coordinate timing and inputs with the tax team, legal, accounting and 3rd parties
- Ensure tax function both direct and indirect adhere to SOX requirements
- Develop and implement a global tax strategy and structure based on new business and go-to-market motions and present recommendations to executive management
- 15+ years of corporate income and indirect tax experience
- Relevant Big 4 public accounting and/or industry experience
- CPA with a Bachelor's degree with an emphasis in accounting, finance, economics or a related field
- Experience with high volume eCommerce platform enterprises preferred
- Ability to quickly understand and integrate business objectives with tax strategies, and effectively communicate tax requirements
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to convey complex technical tax topics in a non-technical manner and effectively work with other functions within the company
- Experience managing people with different tax specialization (direct and indirect tax)
- Experience in cross functional projects
- Experience in planning, implementing, and managing domestic and international tax strategies
- Experience managing a team that is a mix of professional staff and third party consultants
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong analytical, organizational, and presentation skills
Wish values diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive work environment. We provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. We do not discriminate based on any legally-protected class or characteristic. Employment decisions are made based on qualifications, merit, and business needs. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, please let your recruiter know. For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.