Technical Accounting Manager - Equity and Corporate Matters at Affirm
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm, Inc. proudly includes Affirm, PayBright, and Returnly.
We are looking for an individual who has a strong passion to combine disciplines of technical accounting and economic outcomes of complex business transactions; support Affirm leadership to present industry impacts and alternatives to the accounting standard setting bodies (FASB/IASB) and the SEC on unique and complex financial reporting matters; develop accounting policies and lead implementation; and actively participate to promote learning culture and develop current and future talent. This position will report to the Head of Technical Accounting.
- Assist in the preparation and review of quarterly and annual filings with the SEC (10-K, 10-Q, 8-K and others), including drafting of financial statement schedules (stock-based compensation, EPS calculations, equity rollforward, among others), completing SEC and GAAP checklists.
- Responsible for the technical accounting analysis on stock based compensation, M&A and business combinations, internal developed software, leases and other corporate matters by identifying and addressing accounting issues through preparation of technical accounting memos. Specific areas of focus include stock based compensation (ASC 718), leases (ASC 842) and business combinations (ASC 805).
- Responsible for the technical accounting analysis of loans receivable, implementation of leases (ASC 842).
- Perform corporate contract reviews for accounting recognition considerations
- Research and evaluate new technical accounting standards, prepare technical memos, and articulate positions with external auditors
- Act as a strategic partner to Legal, Equity Admin and Strategic Finance teams by assisting in contract negotiation efforts and the assessment of equity related matters
- Assist in operationalizing new/complex transactions and function as a liaison for Controllership with the Legal and Strategic Finance Teams on new initiatives including considering impacts on operational accounting.
- Collaborate with the Legal Department to review new or changed contracts related to business partnerships and entity structuring to identify any accounting implications.
- Manages the assessment of accounting implications of new accounting pronouncements and establishes a process for frequent and appropriate communication with stakeholders.
- Help in the establishment and work within timelines for financial statement preparation, and work collaboratively with various business partners to ensure such timelines are met.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- CPA required
- 7+ years’ work experience in accounting, including Big 4 accounting firm experience
- Advanced knowledge of US GAAP, IFRS and SEC rules and regulations
- Demonstrated application of US GAAP to stock based compensation, business combinations and other complex ransactions
- Proven process for performing complex technical research and analysis from the problem definition stage through facilitating the integration of any new processes
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated strong leadership skills, high energy, initiative and creativity - with a proven ability to manage significant initiatives across organizations and across geographies, as well as develop and motivate staff
- An orientation toward process and detail mindedness. Strong analytical and quantitative skills and superior accounting skills.
- The desire to improve broken processes and make your own job easier over time
- Passion for Affirm and a strong interest in technology
- Proficient knowledge of MS Excel, Word and GSuite
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2020 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.