Skillz is driving the future of entertainment by accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for an exploding mobile-first audience worldwide. The company’s platform empowers mobile game developers and players with democratized access to fun, fair and skill-based competition for real prizes, shifting the paradigm to make eSports accessible to anyone, anywhere with a mobile device.
Skillz helps developers build multi-million dollar game franchises by turning content into competitive social gaming properties for the world’s 2.6 billion gamers. The company has already worked with 13,000 game developers, leveraging its patented technology to host over 800 million tournaments for 18 million players worldwide.
This year, Skillz was recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies and CNBC Disruptor 50 (for the second time). In 2018, Skillz was listed as one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups and Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Companies. In 2017, Inc. Magazine ranked Skillz the No. 1 fastest-growing private company in America.
The company is backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports luminaries, ranging from Liberty Global, Accomplice, Wildcat Capital, Telstra Ventures, and a founder of Great Hill Partners to the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets, and Sacramento Kings.
Who We’re Looking For:
Skillz at its core is a data-driven company, and we’re looking for a talented individual who can help build analytics into the foundation of our People organization. You will partner with our Talent, People Ops, and Workplace Experience leaders to further our metrics-oriented culture and drive forward strategic initiatives. As the first member of the People Analytics team at Skillz, you will build the framework for People Analytics and roadmap how Skillz will build analytical and operational excellence within the People organization.
- Own People team systems, analytics, and reporting end-to-end
- Create action-oriented analyses that enable our People org leaders to roll-out best-in-class programs that elevate Skillz life (some sample programs you may work on include Onboarding, Performance Rewards, and Employee Referrals)
- Identify at least one major operational pain-point and remedy it within 90 days
- Use storytelling skills to persuasively communicate your recommendations to senior leaders and other stakeholders
- 3+ years experience performing quantitative or strategic analysis (preferably in consulting or operations)
- Prior experience supporting People initiatives (i.e. recruiting, onboarding, engagement surveys, etc.) and has a genuine interest in the employee experience
- Inquisitive mindset with a major in business, economics, statistics, engineering, or mathematics preferred but not required
- Experience leading cross-functional initiatives that require significant collaboration between different departments, including both technical and business teams
- Self-starter with a ‘don’t take no for an answer’ attitude and strong communication skills
- Able to solve unstructured problems independently by developing and applying appropriate frameworks or techniques
- Comfortable managing competing priorities and ambiguity
- Excellent with data visualizations and connecting data insights to strategy - strong with Excel, experience with SQL/Python/R preferred but not required