People Operations Manager at Skillz
Skillz is driving the future of entertainment by accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for an exploding mobile-first audience worldwide. The company’s platform empowers mobile game developers and players with democratized access to fun, fair and skill-based competition for real prizes, shifting the paradigm to make eSports accessible to anyone, anywhere with a mobile device.
Skillz helps developers build multi-million dollar game franchises by turning content into competitive social gaming properties for the world’s 2.6 billion gamers. The company has already worked with 13,000 game developers, leveraging its patented technology to host over 800 million tournaments for 18 million players worldwide.
This year, Skillz was recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies and CNBC Disruptor 50 (for the second time). In 2018, Skillz was listed as one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups and Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Companies. In 2017, Inc. Magazine ranked Skillz the No. 1 fastest-growing private company in America.
The company is backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports luminaries, ranging from Liberty Global, Accomplice, Wildcat Capital, Telstra Ventures, and a founder of Great Hill Partners to the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets, and Sacramento Kings.
As a foundational member of the People Operations team, the PeopleOps Manager will build out and improve the systems, tools and processes that enable Skillz to achieve its mission and define our culture. Skillz’s success is a testament to the remarkable Skillzians who have joined the company, allowing us to grow by over 100% every year since inception. Now, we need a dynamic, well-rounded and passionate operations leader to help scale our systems and programs to keep up with our growth!
- Own and evolve all PeopleOps processes, systems, workflows, reporting, and metrics, defining a People strategy that will enable org-wide success
- Design and lead a world-class onboarding program for all new incoming Skillzians
- Partner with HRBPs to advise and influence business leaders in programs and policies for their teams
- Recommend and implement various PeopleOps programs and policies by assessing employee requirements, reviewing competitor and general industry practices, and analyzing cost impact/effectiveness
- Strategize with the Talent, Legal, Finance, IT, Workplace and Business Operations teams to develop seamless processes that support long-term, cross-functional success
- Implement policies and programs that are compliant, thoughtful, data-backed and innovative
- Enable engagement, retention and general success for all Skillzians
- 5+ years experience in people operations, with extensive experience in the development of programs and policies that enable People functions to succeed
- History of promotion/advancement and increasing responsibility
- Quantitative and data-driven — able to draw insights from data while making strong intuitive decisions when data is imperfect or unattainable
- Hungry and energized to achieve ambitious goals
- Ability to build process in a rapid-growth environment and to make pivots where/when necessary
- Passion for people operations and a ‘continuous improvements’ mentality
- CCP, CBP or SPHR certification a plus (solid understanding of relevant employment law, immigration, and compliance matters in SF/CA market, at minimum)
- Experience in fast-growth startup environments a plus
- Track record of hiring and managing highly performant people operations teams a plus