Who we are:
MasterClass is transforming online education by enabling anyone in the world to learn from the very best. We are deconstructing what makes an actor able to cry on demand, how an athlete defies gravity, and what it takes to write a bestseller. Our online learning content is available to students anywhere anytime, which supports our mission to ignite the greatness in others.
We are a quickly growing VC-funded startup based in San Francisco, with additional offices in Los Angeles. We have created online classes taught by famous masters— Gordon Ramsay, Serena Williams, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Sara Blakely, David Sedaris, Bobbi Brown, Timbaland, Anna Wintour and many more to come.
Since launching in 2015, we have been growing our team and anticipate much more growth to come. We have an exciting opportunity on our team for a Senior HR Business Partner. The right candidate for this role will actively and strategically collaborate with leaders to drive business outcomes and organizational effectiveness. This position reports to the Director of Human Resources and will deliver on the overall People Strategy.
What we are looking for:
- Excellent partner to leadership and managers who understands how to manage key HR business processes.
- Ability to navigate complex conversations and deliver positive outcomes.
- Stellar listening skills; understands employee and company’s needs.
- Loves the heart and soul of the company and has a strong desire to continue to make MasterClass a great place to work. Driven by the desire to help people realize their full potential.
- Ability to deal compassionately with employee relations concerns while keeping the business objectives in focus.
- Up-to-date knowledge of foundational HR employment laws and a desire to always learn more.
- Working knowledge of multiple human resource disciplines, including compensation practices, organizational diagnosis, employee relations, diversity and inclusion, training and development and performance management.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Be a trusted advisor to leaders, managers, and individual contributors to help them deliver their best work every single day.
- Provide support and guidance to managers on all HR related issues, including but not limited to hiring, organizational design and development, career development, and employee relations issues.
- Identify training needs for partner teams. Participate in the evaluation and monitoring of training programs to ensure success.
- Connect work and contributions to align with and influence business strategies and objectives (i.e. shifting away from the traditional fire fighting model to a strategic partnership).
- Help drive planning and implementation of company-wide HR initiatives.
- Partner on performance and rewards planning processes and compensation activities during the year.
- Ensure end-to-end HR service delivery by maintaining partnerships across all People Team functions (Recruiting, People Ops). Connect managers and employees with appropriate People Resources.
- Identify and address critical organizational and people issues, and remove barriers impeding the success of the business.
- Build performance management capabilities by coaching leaders to effectively address performance issues and deliver effective feedback.
- Proven ability to provide expert Human Resources support with at least 10 years of progressive HR Business Partner experience
- Excellent communication skills and ability to coach, influence, and partner with various levels of employees, with high integrity
- Superb judgment, strong organizational skills and a sense of urgency
- Attention to detail and the ability to effectively handle multiple priorities
- Demonstration of experience in all HR competencies
- Previous HRBP experience supporting technology organizations/teams is highly preferred
- BA or BS degree in a related field, or direct relevant experience
- Full-time role based in San Francisco
- Legally eligible to work in the United States
At MasterClass, we believe we put our best work forward when our employees bring together ideas that are diverse in thought. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. In addition, MasterClass will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability or special need, we would like to know how we can better accommodate you.