Electrical Engineering Intern (Fall 2021) at Zipline
Do you want to change the world? Zipline uses drones to deliver critical and lifesaving medicine to thousands of hospitals serving millions of people in multiple countries. Our mission is to provide every human on Earth with instant access to vital medical supplies. Today, Zipline delivers thousands of pounds of medical supplies every week, and our delivery flights laid end-to-end would stretch to the Moon and back twice a month. We are at the forefront of a logistics revolution, using autonomous aircraft to deliver just-in-time, lifesaving medical supplies. Join Zipline and help us make this a reality for billions of people!About You and The Role Leading the way in drone delivery often means exceeding the capabilities of what's available off the shelf, and as a result we are engineering the majority of our system in-house. Doubling down on the reliability of our systems is critical to delivering to our next billion customers--people whose lives will be meaningfully affected by smarter, more equitable access. We are deliberately expanding our electrical capabilities and adding to the ranks of our experienced team to achieve these goals. We need dedicated engineers to burn down risk and improve reliability in our system like their life depends on it, because others' lives do. Electronics are where software meets the physical world, and so our electrical engineering team has a wide array of engineering skills and works with a variety of different teams. We need people who are comfortable working in different domains, thrive when working on a problem as part of a small group, and are able to communicate technical concepts clearly to a wide variety of stakeholders--software and mechanical engineers, hardware test and manufacturing, and operations and field support, to name a few. Our small team can get a lot done because our team members are strong individual contributors with a good grasp of electrical engineering fundamentals and the ability to define requirements for their systems, rapidly develop creative and simple solutions, and prove with testing that their work meets the rigors and edge-cases of real-world deployment. What You'll Do
You'll have your own projects but we haven't been saving an "intern project" - you'll be a full member of our team, and like with our other engineers, we'll work with you to find projects that align with your goals and interests and the team's and company's priorities.
Examples of previous projects included:
- Troubleshooting critical reliability problems on deployed hardware to ensure we can continue to serve patients
- Designing functional testers for our manufacturing floor, which today verify that every part that leaves our factory is ready to work for the people we serve
- Prototyping new versions of our battery charging electronics to meet harsher environmental requirements in new countries where we're launching our service
- Designing and building a custom server rack to simulate tens of thousands of deliveries and validate our flight software on real hardware
- You've designing and tested a custom circuit board (it doesn't need to have worked - we'd love to hear about it!)
- You've worked on a project in or out of school that moved under its own power (plane, car, boat, quadcopter, rocket, balloon, rocket on a balloon, submarine, rover, etc. -- we're not picky)
- You've collaborated on the above two things as part of a group -- school club, competition team, as part of a job/internship, or just with friends
In your application, we'd love to see either a sample of work you're proud of or a short note about your prior experience and how it relates to the three points above.What Else You Need to Know Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!
If you'd like to learn more about Zipline and our teams, feel free to check out: