Guidance, Navigation and Control Engineer Intern, Flight Controls at Wing
Wing is reshaping the future of delivery. We are an on-demand drone delivery service that can deliver food, medicine or other items within minutes. We’ve also developed an unmanned traffic management platform to safely route drones through the sky. Our service is faster, safer and produces far less pollution than traditional delivery. Originally created in 2012 within X, the Moonshot Factory, Wing is now an Alphabet company.
About the Program:
Wing’s Summer 2021 internship will take place virtually in the United States. This 12 week program is for students in their graduating year of school. We will review applications and interview candidates on a rolling basis until March 2021.
Students from all schools, and students who identify with a group that is historically underrepresented in the technology industry are encouraged to apply. This includes but is not limited to: Black/African American, Latinx/Hispanic, Native American, students with disabilities, veterans, and non-binary people.
About the Role:
Wing is looking for an intern to join the Guidance, Navigation and Control team! The GN&C team designs and implements algorithms for path planning, state estimation, flight control, actuation, and contingency management. Team members work closely with other engineers in aerodynamics and propulsion, perception and computer vision, machine learning, and embedded software.
What You’ll Need:
- Familiarity with aircraft dynamics, stability and control fundamentals
- Experience with Matlab, C++, or Python
- Familiarity with real-time embedded platforms
- Practical lab experience
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor's, Masters or PhD degree in Computer Science, Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related field, with an anticipated graduation date after December 2021
- Strong examples of hands-on engineering experience from prior work experience, university programs, internships, or student organizations
- Passion for aviation, drones, or related technologies
- Experience developing your own side projects with ideas you’re passionate about
- Familiarity with state estimation
- Experience with fault-tolerant flight control systems and contingency management
- Experience in developing flight critical and safety critical UAV GNC solutions
- Experience in bringing a UAV GNC solution to certification by an aviation regulatory agency
Participation in the internship program requires that you are located in the United States for the duration of the internship program. Individuals applying for this position will not be eligible for immigration sponsorship.