Intern, Business Development at Planet
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
The BD internship is structured to ensure the BD associate gets exposure to all the same responsibilities and skills that our BD team members flex on a daily basis in a structured 10-12 week timeframe.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Lead account development for at least one account over the course of the summer, being the primary point of contact for developing this customer/partner, with coaching and support from other BD team members
- Work on one idea of your choosing to help with future Planet growth - this can be a completely new idea that you originate or one that an existing BD team member is working on that you want to support. This workstream culminates in a presentation to the Commercial Leadership Team.
- This job has elements of strategy, sales, project management and execution.
What You Bring:
- Bachelor’s Degree is required. MBA is highly preferred
- Prior experience in the Geospatial Imagery Ecosystem, Analytics and Machine Learning industries is a bonus
- Excellent project, time, and budget management skills, and being able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously without sacrificing attention to detail
- A mixture of high energy, flexibility and team orientation with a direct, honest, and respectful approach to problem solving, and an ability to work both collaboratively and independently in a high-growth, start-up culture
- Outstanding executive communication (speaking and writing), interpersonal, and organizational skills
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Strategic thinking capabilities and creativity, as you will be:
- Identifying and evaluating potential business opportunities and strategic partnerships within the Geospatial ecosystem to build Planet market share in this vertical
- Refining a strategic approach to expanding Planet’s solutions into new market segments in collaboration with cross-functional teams
- Customer Engagement / Sales skills, as you will be:
- Supporting contract negotiation with external partners and customers
- Working collaboratively with sales leadership and product to develop and drive strategic engagement plans with key accounts
- Project Management / Execution skills, as you will be:
- Developing and presenting executive updates benchmarking progress against target metrics to the Sales Leadership to assist in decision making (i.e. analysis of market size, revenue and funding, strategic planning) and strategic planning
- Working with Planet cross-functional teams to gather information on technical feasibility of new projects, establish consensus on stakeholders, and successfully negotiate and close new accounts
- Collaborating with post-sales to ensure the success of new product pilots and partnerships
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.#LI-REMOTE#LI-TK1