Intern, Communications at Planet
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
In nine years, Planet has built over 300 satellites and successfully deployed 351 - 10x that of any competitor - and has around 140 currently in orbit collecting over 250M sq km of imagery daily. At Planet, you will be a full-time integral team member of the Communications department helping to curate, develop and disseminate messaging and stories that support the company’s momentum and positive brand.
You are a self-starter and someone willing to roll up your sleeves and jump head first into: social media, media and event support, blocking and tackling ad hoc messaging, writing, and presentation tasks. You will be joining a lean and mean team of high energy, creative and hardworking communications professionals. No task is too big or too small no matter your role on our team. We’re reliable, flexible, and at the end of the day, are the disseminators of the Planet message. If you’re looking for external limelight, this role is not for you.
Upon application, we are asking for 3-5 writing samples showcasing clear and concise writing that is non-academic. (We don’t want to see school essays. We’re looking for blogs, news articles, press releases, etc.)
Impact You’ll Own:
- Draft social media posts (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn)
- Administrative tasks (updating website, media manifest, end of month sales recaps, email management, speaking slots)
- Compile media coverage
- Blog pitches and background research
- Help to develop media list
- Contribute to editorial social calendar and monitoring responses
- Support Planet’s relationship with the press
- Contribute to staff and team meetings
- Help to draft press releases, blog posts, social media posts, etc.
What You Bring:
- Strong writing, editing and communication skills
- A desire to write creatively and seek out interesting stories to tell
- The ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure (We’re scrappy but love the work we do!)
- High energy and a positive attitude
- Attention to detail
- Social media skills (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn)
- Previous internship experience in a writing or communications role
- Formal training in public relations, communications, marketing, English, journalism, or another related field (e.g. College student or graduate)
- Experience with Microsoft Office, WordPress and Google Drive
- Desire to work at a mission driven company
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Adobe Photoshop experience
- Familiarity with Google Analytics
- Prior customer-facing experience
- Copy-editing skills
- Basic knowledge of HTML
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.#LI-REMOTE#LI-TK1