Intern, Strategic Special Projects at Planet
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
We’re seeking a candidate to join Planet’s Strategy Division to work on Special Projects and Strategic Planning to accelerate Space Systems' role within the company’s Business Strategy. The candidate will be reporting to the Director of Special Projects for a meaningful summer internship. The role will be both independent and require the ability to interface with multiple groups (notably the Strategy, Engineering and Business Development Teams) and personalities across the company. There may even be some opportunities to lead customer facing conversations that will aid the Strategy team in developing meaningful relationships with potential partners. The role will be remote as the majority of the company continues to work from home for the rest of 2020. Candidate should be comfortable taking initiative and working with minimal direction on challenging and sometimes open-ended projects. Ideal candidates will have an entrepreneurial spirit and thirst for knowledge. A background in engineering, space and/or science is desirable. Candidates possessing a strong understanding of the space (specifically Earth Observation and remote sensing) and/or telecomm landscape from an industry players and technical perspective get extra bonus points!
The candidate will work with the Director of Special Projects to better define the goals and projects for the internship to specifically cater them to the desires and skills of the candidate, while meeting critical needs of the Strategy Division and company at large.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Help with the development and capture process for integrated initiatives that balance complex aerospace engineering, business development and interpersonal needs
- Data collection, analysis and report to evaluate areas such as customer/competitor/opportunity landscapes, make vs buy decisions, and other special projects related analyses
- Providing strategic recommendations and concise presentation of findings founded on data and analysis
- Program management tools and best practices yielding process improvements
- Database management
- Documenting and presenting technical approach and solution
What You Bring:
- Enthusiasm to contribute as part of the Strategy Team at Planet
- Business and market analysis acumen
- Passion for efficient procedures and creative problem solving
- Resourcefulness and scrappy attitude to get things done
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Welcoming and professional demeanor
- Outstanding communication skills (to comprehend and give instructions)
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Entrepreneurial experience and drive
- Demonstrated grit
- Skilled at both working independently as well as in a team environment, especially with minimal direction
- Understand (or willingness to learn) the 21st aerospace ecosystem, both from established players and new entrants in the market
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.