Legal Intern at Gusto
Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.
Want to find out what it’s like to work in-house at a fast-growing fintech company? Join our Legal team at Gusto!
We are looking for energetic and detail-oriented legal intern who love multitasking and working collaboratively. Here are some of the traits we want to see: You shine in a fast-paced environment and thrive on the success of a job well done. You’re the type of person who will leave no stone unturned when conducting legal research. You take the initiative to independently tackle complex and novel tasks. When you say “I’ll take care of it,” we know it’ll be done well. You will develop skills in critical thinking, legal research & writing, including translating legalese for non-legal audiences, deal negotiation, contract drafting, legal operations and policy development.
**Please include a cover letter and writing sample in your submission**
Here’s what you’ll do day-to-day:
- Help the Legal team be more productive, effective and organized.
- Conduct legal research and work with business, product, marketing, and engineering teams on topics such as privacy (e.g., GDPR, HIPAA & California Consumer Privacy Act), advertising (e.g., UDAAP & CAN-SPAM), intellectual property (e.g., trademarks & patents), employment (e.g., wage & hour & ERISA), benefits (e.g., ACA and COBRA), and fintech (e.g., lending, money transmission, and other fintech matters).
- Negotiate and revise vendor and partnership agreements.
- Draft and update agreement templates.
- Create legal wikis and “how-to” presentations.
Here’s what we're looking for:
- Rising 2Ls from a top law school.
- Available full-time for at least 10 weeks during the summer (40 hours a week).
- Able to think critically and come up with creative solutions.
- Extremely organized and attentive to detail.
- Thrives working on cross-functional teams.
- Experience in researching federal and state regulations.
- Strong legal writing and analysis, and ability to communicate to non-legal audiences.
- Enthusiastic about learning new disciplines
- Past experience working at a start-up or tech company.
- Demonstrated interest in fintech, employment, or benefits industries.
- Completed contract drafting, business associations and/or entrepreneurship classes
- The internship is paid.
- The internship is not eligible for school credit.
- The internship is located in San Francisco.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Gusto.