Product Designer, Intern (Summer 2021) at Benchling
Over the coming years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy are dramatically changing how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials are transforming the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology are producing sustainable and ethical food. Benchling’s mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this reality, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchling’s applications, platform, & analytics in their efforts to solve humanity’s most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the world’s most renowned research institutes.
We're looking for a Product Design Intern to help ship creative solutions to complex product problems, helping to drive the biotech revolution. As part of this program, you will be in a position to grow as a designer and personally by working closely with your manager, mentor and an amazingly talented design team.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Partner with PM and engineering to engage in user research, influence product direction, and define design projects
- Actively contribute to evolving our process, tools and systems to ensure we’re creating great, consistent work
- Solve customer problems by synthesizing behavioral information and imagining things as they should be, not as they are
- Conceptualize a broad spectrum of ideas and then narrow based on experimentation and customer research
- Rapidly design and prototype multiple ideas for product features
- Advance a strong point of view, backed by personal expertise, design rationale, customer data, and industry trends
- Are working towards a Bachelors or Masters degree in Graphical Design, Human-Computer Interaction, or similar field of study
- Have worked as a Product Design Intern or have similar experience
- Have experience working with PM and engineering teams in a fast-moving environment
- A strong portfolio of relevant design work that conveys an ability to ship successful products people love
- Strong communication skills and ability to explain the reasoning behind complex decisions
- Relentless focus on the customer
Benchling welcomes everyone. We believe every member of our team enriches our diversity and inclusion by broadening our ways of problem-solving for future challenges. Even if you don't meet 100% of the qualifications for this job, we strongly encourage you to apply.
- Admit mistakes and shortcomings
- Deliver results
- Disagree and commit
- Obsess over customers
- Rely on work ethic
- Show empathy
- Recruit and develop the best
- Sweat the details
- Think and communicate clearly
- Unite around the mission
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Quarterly mental health days
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- 401k, Medical, dental, and vision insurance (US Employees Only)
- Monthly health & wellness stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- Yearly educational stipend (Currently US Employees Only)
- To support remote work conditions, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000(USD) upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
In following best practices and safety protocols, all Benchling employees are expected to work remotely until we are further advised that it is safe for employees to resume work in their respective office locations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.