Over the next 10 years, biotech will fundamentally rewrite the way we live. Gene editing and cell therapy will dramatically change how we treat cancer and other major illnesses. Biofuels and biomaterials will transform the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, and the makeup of everyday objects. Crop science and synthetic biology will produce sustainable and ethical food. Benchling’s mission is to accelerate the research that propels us towards this future, and magnify its impact, through modern software.
Every day, scientists around the world use Benchling in their efforts to solve humanity's most pressing problems. For these scientists, Benchling is the central technology they use to conduct their research.
Benchling was founded by a team of MIT graduates and has raised funding from Benchmark, Andreessen Horowitz, Thrive Capital, and Y Combinator. Our customers include pharmaceutical giants, leading biotechs, and the world's most renowned research institutes.
We're looking for a Product Design Intern to help ship creative solutions to complex product problems, helping to drive the biotech revolution. As part of this program, you will be in a position to grow as a designer and personally by working closely with your manager, mentor and an amazingly talented design team.
- Partner with PM and engineering to engage in user research, influence product direction, and define design projects
- Actively contribute to evolving our process, tools and systems to ensure we’re creating great, consistent work
- Solve customer problems by synthesizing behavioral information and imagining things as they should be, not as they are
- Conceptualize a broad spectrum of ideas and then narrow based on experimentation and customer research
- Rapidly design and prototype multiple ideas for product features
- Advance a strong point of view, backed by personal expertise, design rationale, customer data, and industry trends
- Are working towards a Bachelors or Masters degree in Graphical Design, Human-Computer Interaction, or similar field of study
- Have worked as a Product Design Intern or have similar experience
- Have experience working with PM and engineering teams in a fast-moving environment
- A strong portfolio of relevant design work that conveys an ability to ship successful products people love
- Strong communication skills and ability to explain the reasoning behind complex decisions
- Relentless focus on the customer
- Empower through information. We explain the “why” behind every decision, unless there are highly sensitive circumstances. We're honest about how we're doing, especially in difficult times. We believe that sharing information builds trust and enables better decision-making.
- Rely on tenacity. Hard work is one of the greatest factors to determine success and is fully under our control. We must make the most of every day by bringing the highest level of determination. Dreaming big is not enough.
- Raise the bar. Pushing ourselves and others to improve will be uncomfortable and at times result in failure. However, it's critical to our success. We're dedicated to creating a place where everyone feels challenged to improve.
- Build a lever. We choose to build tools and infrastructure that will help others make world-changing innovations. There's less glory in it, but in the words of Archimedes, "Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world."
PERKS AND BENEFITS
- Work with a talented yet humble team
- Competitive compensation & equity package
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Monthly health & wellness stipend
- Weekly virtual social events, and annual company retreats
- *$1,000 work-from-home stipend
In following best practices and safety protocols, all Benchling employees are expected to work remotely until we are further advised that it is safe for employees to resume work in their respective office locations.
*To support remote work conditions, Benchling provides each employee a one-time stipend of $1,000 upon commencing employment, and additional discounted employee purchase plans for home-office equipment.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.