Technical Product Manager, Platform and Internal Infrastructure at Planet
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
Planet is a very deep company with multiple layers, from satellite manufacturing, constellation operations, image processing, derived data products, APIs, etc.
At the core of our which is the need to provide layers of infrastructure to generate planetary-scale satellite imagery products, and derived data products, and hosting one of the world’s largest and ever-growing collections of satellite imagery. Every day, our satellites generate tens of TB of imagery data, from which we generate a wide variety of tuned products for visual and scientific analysis. Our customers build applications that automatically pull hundreds of TB of imagery from our platform. Supporting this scale, and enabling more interesting, computationally intensive data products to be created and delivered from the Planet Platform requires a keen eye on the orchestration and abstraction.
As the Technical Product Manager for Planet’s Core Computation Engine and Internal Infrastructure your goal is to manage the shape and scale of our internal imagery archive, global computation engine, and other core internal services -- managing ease-of-use for internal teams, and scalability to service current and future customer needs. You’ll coordinate across multiple engineering teams building different layers of Planet’s Image Processing Infrastructure, and you’ll prioritize incoming feature and scaling requests across our Developer Experience, Analytics, Web Applications surface areas with the collaboration of other PM’s.
Although daily planetary-scale monitoring is technically complex, internal and external users alike need simple tools to be able to understand how we image the planet -- where and when imagery limitations exist, and how to reason about constellation performance in the future. These tools are necessary both for our internal sense-making, for customer’s expectations, and to build more dynamic user-facing products . As the TPM of Platform and Internal Infrastructure, you’ll be
As a TPM, you impact our end-users by helping prioritize scaling and feature-richness across our compute platform.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Stability, Speed and Scalability of Core Planet Computation Resources
- Managing and Coordinating Platform Resource Prioritization across multiple products
- Overall Health and Usability of our Imagery Archive including Search and Storage
- Accelerating Product Development through better Compute and Imagery Services
- The Understability and Usability of Planet’s Imagery Publication Pipeline, Formats and Metadata -- how do we store imagery? Publish and Republish it? How do we search and filter the archive?
- The creation of higher-level tools for understanding our image catalogue, planetary coverage metrics and publication
- Prioritization in scalability vs. feature-richness of large-scale pipelines
What You Bring:
- 3+ years experience with management of Highly Technical Products
- Solid understanding of modern cloud computing environments and common limits
- Ability to make key resource trade-offs between multiple teams with solid explanations
- Demonstrated ability to Influence without authority and working with multiple roles across Company/ organizations
- Ability to coordinate people and technical resources across multiple areas of the company
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills at the technical level
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and creative thinking skills
- Must be energetic, creative, and self-motivated
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Experience in Computer Science, Image Processing, GIS, Geography, Remote Sensing or related field
- Experience with products related to High-Volume Search, or High-Throughput Computation
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Compensation (For Colorado Applicants Only):
The base pay range targeted for this position in Colorado is: $138,600- $187,200. This role is eligible for bonus and equity.
The actual offer, including the compensation package, is determined based on multiple factors, including experience, location, and other business considerations.
Planet is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not able to work from a state where Planet is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.#LI-REMOTE#LI-CL1