Associate Corporate Counsel at Planet
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
We’re seeking an Associate Corporate Counsel to join our Legal team, reporting to our Deputy General Counsel.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Review, draft, and negotiate a variety of agreements with our partners, clients, and vendors, who range from government agencies, universities, and multinational corporations to emerging startups, nonprofits, and more.
- Be a resource and point of contact within our legal team to assist with a variety of commercial needs, while working integrally within the broader legal and compliance teams to ensure that the assistance provided is thorough, consistent, and in line with Planet’s strategies and values.
- Refine our current documents and forms, develop templates to address new relationships and complex partnerships, and streamline the day-to-day commercial processes to increase efficiency as Planet continues to grow.
- Serve as a resource to our growing Product team, to help issue spot and partner with product teams to understand product, engineering, design, and operational implications of existing and new products and initiatives.
- Conduct legal product reviews and advise multiple stakeholders across product, engineering, marketing, and business development throughout the product development lifecycle.
- Understand and stay up to date on U.S. and international laws and regulations related to Planet’s products and services.
What You Bring:
- Qualified attorney and Member of the California Bar (in good standing) or eligible to register as a California Registered In-House Counsel.
- 2-6 years of experience working in a law firm and/or in-house legal department.
- Experience addressing the legal needs of the technology/software sector, particularly with SaaS contracts, is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, attention to detail, problem solving skills, and decision making.
- An exceptional understanding of a variety of commercial agreements, including hands-on experience in reviewing, negotiating, and drafting.
- Past experience working with government or public agencies in a commercial setting is a plus.
- International experience is a plus, as is direct US Government negotiation experience.
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Demonstrated capability to understand complex issues and to provide timely and practical advice, which addresses both the legal concerns and the overall business benefits and risks.
- Ability to maintain a graceful and helpful customer service attitude, particularly in high-pressure and time-crunched circumstances, where last-minute circumstances may shift project priorities.
- Established efficiency by use of meticulous organizational skills, including the ability to manage a variety of projects and ongoing negotiations at once.
- Capable independent worker, quick learner, and self-starter, who is driven and creative, yet who is a team player who brings a positive and supportive mentality to Planet.
- Good sense of humor, outgoing, drama-free, inquisitive, and desire to get things done.
Benefits While Working at Planet US:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.