Associate General Counsel, Securities and Corporate Governance at Affirm
We at Affirm are seeking an accomplished attorney to join our legal team as Associate General Counsel (AGC) in Securities and Corporate Governance. Reporting to the Deputy General Counsel for Corporate Affairs, this individual will lead all aspects of corporate governance and securities functions within Affirm's legal department while supervising several attorneys and other legal professionals. The work will be independent and proactive, partnering cross-functionally with Affirm teams such as Accounting, Finance, Investor Relations, External Communications, and People.
What You'll Do
- Lead securities and corporate governance functions for the Affirm legal department, including provision of advice to senior Affirm management
- Lead legal support for the preparation of 10-Ks, 10-Qs, 8-Ks, proxy statements and other SEC filings and reports
- Advise on disclosure matters and stock exchange, SEC, and corporate legal requirements
- Coordinate the planning and execution of the annual stockholders meeting
- Assist with communications and investor relations, including the review of press releases and investor communications
- Assist with board of directors and board committee-meeting matters, including coordinating, preparing, and distributing board/committee materials, meeting agendas, and meeting minutes
- Provide legal support to the equity administration team relating to stockholder inquiries, equity plans, Rule 10b5-1 trading plans, the administration of Affirm's insider trading policy, and related matters
- Develop and implement company policies
- Develop strategies to scale legal support as the business grows
- Identify and evaluate business and legal risks, plus find creative ways to mitigate them while achieving business goals
- Stay current on governance trends and SEC and stock exchange rules and regulations
What We're Looking For
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school, along with active membership in at least one state bar
- 12+ years in the practice of securities and corporate law, to include 5+ years practicing at a law firm with a sophisticated practice in this area and 3+years overseeing in-house corporate and securities legal functions at a U.S. public company
- Significant experience advising clients on public company reporting and compliance matters, as well as corporate governance matters
- In-depth knowledge of securities law
- Strong people management and leadership skills
- Consistent track record of building relationships across all levels and operating through influence, with the confidence to formulate, advocate, and drive ideas forward
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to collaborate, compromise, demonstrate diplomacy, and otherwise interact well with senior management
- Highly disciplined, able to make independent decisions and work with limited supervision while excelling in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Attentive to detail and able to produce quality work product
- Able to handle and advance multiple projects in a multi-stakeholder environment
- Able to uphold the highest standards of discretion and confidentiality
- Inquisitive nature and comfortable challenging current practices
Location - Remote U.S.
Grade - USA34
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company ! The majority of our roles are remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of the U.S. Territories, Quebec, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories) unless the job indicates a different global location. We are currently building operations in Spain, Poland, and Australia. Employees in remote roles have the option of working remotely or from an Affirm office in their country of hire, and may occasionally travel to an Affirm office or elsewhere for required meetings or team-building events. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Toronto will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis, subject to local COVID-19 guidelines.
All full-time jobs at Affirm (excluding interns and apprentices) are tied to a transparent grade-based pay range taking location into account.
[Colorado Candidates] In accordance with Colorado's Equal Pay for Equal Work Act , the grade for this position in Colorado is listed above. You can find the Colorado base pay range and benefits here .
If you got this far, we hope you're feeling excited about this role. Even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We're eager to meet people who believe in Affirm's mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways-not just candidates who check all the boxes.
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that's why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2020 DEI Report .
We also believe It's On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.