Associate General Counsel
We are SigFig. We’re here to empower everyone to achieve their life goals and ambitions. It takes extraordinary people to disrupt decades of legacy financial practices to reimagine solutions to be customer-centric, engaging, and intuitively designed that use technology to serve customers at scale.
We are committed to building impactful financial solutions that are accessible and affordable to everyone. Using a combination of design, data science, and technology, we help provide people with financial advice and guidance they need to achieve their life goals. Whether it’s through our direct to consumer or businesses to consumer products through partnerships with some of the world’s largest and most innovative financial institutions like Wells Fargo, UBS, and Citizens Bank, SigFig seeks to help consumers and institutions make better financial decisions.
Headquartered in San Francisco, we also have amazing talent solving interesting problems across our offices in Calgary, Tucson, Phoenix, Singapore, and New Delhi. Come thrive at SigFig!The Team -- Legal
The Legal Team serves to advise our global company on increasingly complex problems to drive revenue and instill trust in our external partners. We value our Legal Team as they drive strategic change through informed and intelligent legal counsel and business partnership. Exceptional judgment and strong business acumen allows SigFig to mitigate risk while facilitating high growth and innovation. Our Associate General Counsel in collaboration with expert external counsel creates a dynamic legal team working on innovative legal issues across a growing global company.The Opportunity -- Associate General Counsel
As Associate General Counsel, you will advise and direct legal matters relating to our partners from financial services and banking plus any internal business needs. You are an exceptional leader who will be a key advisor to the Executive Team providing legal counsel across multiple subject matter areas including commercial contracts, corporate securities, international operations, and HR. You will support the company’s business and finance teams on strategic transactions and investments across financial technology, wealth and banking spaces. You will be an integral part of an agile leadership team. In addition to supporting the business’s transaction and strategic pipeline, you will provide legal expertise on a wide range of corporate governance and other cutting-edge and complex legal matters. You will frequently interact with our committed Board of Directors, key stakeholders at our partner institutions, and external counsel as needed. You bring real-world experience in making pragmatic decisions that balance managing risk while ensuring success as we operate and scale our business. You thrive in an innovative, fast-paced environment, can roll up your sleeves, work hard, have fun, work independently with comfort, and get the job done.
You will truly enjoy what they do, be flexible and communicative, and relish learning new things. This role will report to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) with extensive cross-functional interaction to drive strategies down to execution while keeping up the pace of SigFig. This is you!How You’ll Make an Impact
- Advise: you will provide legal counsel on negotiations, corporate governance, employment and immigration, regulatory, IP, and risk management
- Partner: knowing when to go to outside counsel for more specialized legal support and sourcing/managing/working with the right providers
- Facilitate: acting as corporate secretary and managing corporate filings, board and corporate governance for US and international subsidiaries
- Collaborate: working with business leaders in proactively evaluating and managing risk as we scale our business
- Operate: provide real-world experience in making pragmatic decisions that balance managing risk while ensuring success for our business
- You will review, draft and update as needed SigFig’s policies and procedures, partner agreements and privacy policies to ensure ongoing compliance with applicable US and international laws, rules and regulations, company practices and standards, and best practices in an evolving regulatory environment
- You proactively lead technology transactions by negotiating and drafting complex commercial, licensing and intellectual property agreements affecting SigFig’s products and services with long-term implications
- You expertly draft and negotiate banking, marketing, technology, recruiting, and other business agreements for a wide range of regulated and non-regulated entities
- You interface directly with various internal business units, including Revenue, Marketing, Finance, Engineering, and People for legal counsel needs
- You possess strong knowledge of financial institutions laws, rules and regulations as well as industry leading-practices and standards
- You have practical experience negotiating and drafting complex commercial agreements
- You have highly developed written and oral communication skills, with special emphasis on excellent drafting and negotiation skills and attention to detail
- You possess a high comfort level with a wide range of legal issues and subject matters
- You have the professional self-esteem and confidence to “push back” on executives when necessary
- You undertake projects and tasks with an attention to detail coupled with a sense of urgency
- You have strong critical-thinking skills combined with a propensity toward innovation and risk-taking
- You are self-motivated, resilient and assertive with a high willingness to learn
- You thrive in serving as a sounding board for others, with low ego
- 6+ years of in house corporate counsel
- 3+ years of experience representing technology and/or mid to early-stage startups on general corporate matters
- Exposure to FinTech and/or enterprise software
- J.D. (or foreign equivalent) and membership in good standing with at least one U.S state bar
- Ability to accommodate occasional travel (both domestic and international) on short notice (10%)
Founded in 2007, SigFig is backed by premier venture capital firms, including Bain Capital Ventures, DCM Ventures, Nyca Partners, and Union Square Ventures as well as leading financial institutions including Wells Fargo, UBS, Santander, New York Life, Eaton Vance, and Comerica. We've raised $110 million to support our growth as the #1 online investment advisor for large financial institutions.
© Nvest. All rights reserved, SigFig is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We encourage people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.
San Francisco Applicants: SigFig will consider applicants with arrest and conviction records (criminal histories) in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.