Counsel, Product & Privacy at Wish
Wish is a mobile e-commerce platform that flips traditional shopping on its head. We connect hundreds of millions of people with the widest selection of delightful, surprising, and—most importantly—affordable products delivered directly to their doors. Each day on Wish, millions of customers in more than 160 countries around the world discover new products. For our over 1 million merchant partners, anyone with a good idea and a mobile phone can instantly tap into a global market.
We're fueled by creating unique products and experiences that give people access to a new type of commerce, where all are welcome. If you’ve been searching for a supportive environment to chase your curiosity and use data to investigate the questions that matter most to you, this is the place.
Wish is looking for Counsel, Product & Privacy who can contribute to our growing Legal team and work on complex issues in a dynamic and fast-paced environment. The role will help advise product and engineering teams on topics like marketing, promotions, virtual currency, rewards and loyalty programs, and data protection as well as supporting our commercial contracting functions with respect to Product issues or questions.
The ideal candidate is: highly organized; able to distill complex legal issues into concrete directives for internal stakeholders; able to collaborate and communicate effectively with other teams and departments; able to plan and execute projects of all sizes and durations; knowledgeable in U.S. and EU privacy and consumer protection law; comfortable researching and advising on legal issues across multiple countries and jurisdictions; naturally curious and a regular user of e-commerce apps; an effective researcher able to holistically evaluate risks and develop creative solutions to challenging issues; comfortable pitching in on any legal task or project with a “no task too big or small” attitude.
This role will report to the Senior Counsel, Product and Privacy.
- Research, strategize, and advise on regulations and policies relevant to product goals and objectives including obligations and risk exposure.
- Analyze the products, features, and systems that Wish builds, including benchmarking against other relevant platforms and companies, to provide practical legal risk mitigation strategies.
- Provide legal advice across many subject areas including consumer protection, advertising, and data protection and privacy laws.
- Plan and execute projects to mitigate risk and develop our legal ops.
- Collaborate with commercial counsel, business, procurement, risk, and information security personnel on various matters including virtual currency, marketing and social media, fraud prevention, and vendor due diligence and contracting.
- Educate business partners on key commercial, legal, policy, and other considerations; including by providing follow-up information to internal stakeholders to ensure timely performance and compliance with legal obligations.
- J.D. (or foreign equivalent) with membership in at least one U.S. state bar
- 4+ years of legal experience with a reputable law firm and/or technology company
- Experience advising clients on complex legal issues in a variety of jurisdictions, including privacy and data use and/or regulatory matters
- In-house experience at a consumer-facing technology company
- CIPP or some other privacy qualification
- Some experience negotiating data protection-related provisions in commercial contracts
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and a commitment to professionalism and collegiality
- Ability to effectively and efficiently manage numerous cases and/or projects under time-sensitive deadlines
- Flexible and adaptable in a fast-paced, innovative, and demanding environment
Wish values diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive work environment. We provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. We do not discriminate based on any legally-protected class or characteristic. Employment decisions are made based on qualifications, merit, and business needs. If you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability, please let your recruiter know. For job positions in San Francisco, CA, and other locations where required, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.