Instacart’s Policy & Government Affairs department advocates for public policy outcomes that support the long-term growth of our business. We build trust with government policymakers, helping them understand our business and its positive impact on their communities. We help to shape complex, cutting-edge public policy debates that will define the future of work and e-commerce. We engage a diverse coalition of stakeholders and communities to build effective advocacy campaigns that advance our public policy goals. We help the company see around corners to anticipate and adjust to rapidly evolving political and regulatory landscapes.
The Policy Research & Development team is responsible for evaluating the impact of potential legislation or regulation on our business, and turning that analysis into core policy positions supported by economic research and data.
This position can be located in San Francisco, CA or Washington, DC.
ABOUT THE JOB
- Lead the development of Instacart’s proactive policy agenda and core policy positions
- Perform internal cross-functional analyses that evaluate the impact of potential legislation or regulation on our business
- Produce in house and external economic research, reports and other public-facing content that use data to demonstrate our positive impact and tell our story to policymakers
- Externally, engage with think tanks, academics and other thought leaders to shape public policy debates most relevant to the company
- Internally, orchestrate the integration of policy considerations into product and business development plans, working cross-functionally with Engineering, Data Science, Operations, Business Development, Finance, Legal partners
- Manage a team of economic and legal analysts
- 10+ years of high-level public policy experience in government, think tank, business or academia
- Understanding of how technical language in legislative and regulatory proposals could affect corporate operations and an ability to identify business implications and synthesize policy documents for internal customers.
- Ability to create resources to support public policy positions using in-depth research techniques and innovative thinking
- Can effectively communicate complex information to a wide variety of audiences, both written and oral
- Ability to effectively and comfortably interact at the highest corporate and policy levels to build third party allies
- Experience managing a team responsible for multiple workstreams
- Can balance long and short-term priorities to deliver results
- Resourceful and entrepreneurial with a bias towards action
- Bonus points for labor/ecommerce policy expertise
- Bonus points for advanced degrees (e.g., JD, MPP, MBA)