Credit Karma is a mission-driven company, focused on championing financial progress for our more than 100 million members in the U.S., Canada and U.K. While we're best known for pioneering free credit scores, our members turn to us for tips as they work on their financial goals, including helping them monitor their credit, identity monitoring, searching for credit cards, shopping for loans (car, home and personal), filing their taxes with Credit Karma Tax and growing their savings* -- all for free. Credit Karma has grown significantly through the years: we've added more than 70 million members in the last five years alone and now have more than 1,100 employees across our offices in San Francisco, Charlotte, Los Angeles, Leeds, London and soon Oakland.
As Product Counsel, you will proactively assess legal risk and provide smart, practical guidance to stakeholders throughout the financial product development lifecycle. You will report to a Senior Counsel and work closely with members of our Legal team and cross-functional teams across the organization. The role requires a self-motivated and highly collaborative individual who excels in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
*Banking services provided by MVB Bank, Inc., Member FDIC
What you'll do:
- Take ownership as the Legal representative to help our Product, Engineering, Copy and Design teams in developing innovative and compelling personal finance tools for consumers
- Assist our Business Development team with onboarding and handling business partners and their product offerings
- Lead cross-functional projects with multiple colleagues to manage existing risks or proactively identify and mitigate upcoming risks
- Assess the business impact of new and evolving legal and regulatory requirements in the consumer financial products space
- Educate partners in a simple, easy to understand way about regulatory issues as they relate to a wide range of products and features
- Provide meaningful, business-savvy guidance that creatively solves legal and business issues
- Make assertive decisions on when and how to take smart risks to achieve the business’s goals
What we are looking for:
- JD from a top law school and excellent credentials
- Member of the California Bar
- 5-7 years of experience, including in consumer finance and privacy law, such as the FCRA, TILA, RESPA, ECOA and GLBA
- Experience with financial products, technology, and consumer-facing platforms a plus
- Ability to lead projects involving cross-functional partners
- Outstanding interpersonal communication skills
- Intellectual creativity and problem-solving skills that involve taking smart risks
Equal Employment Opportunity
Credit Karma is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. We believe that such an environment advances long-term professional growth, creates a robust business, and supports our mission of championing financial progress for everyone. We offer generous benefits and perks with a single eye to nourishing an inclusive environment that recognizes the contributions of all and fosters diversity by supporting our internal Employee Resource Groups. We’ve worked hard to build an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and the opportunity for professional growth. As part of the Credit Karma team, your voice will be heard, your contributions will matter, and your unique background and experiences will be celebrated.
Credit Karma is also proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome all candidates without regard to race, color, religion, age, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, veteran or military status, disability (physical or mental), genetic information, or any other protected characteristic. We prohibit discrimination of any kind and operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance