Blend helps lenders maximize their digital agility. Our digital lending platform is used by Wells Fargo, U.S. Bank, and other leading financial institutions to increase customer acquisition, improve productivity, and accelerate the delivery of any banking product across every channel. We process more than $3.5 billion in mortgages and consumer loans daily, helping millions of consumers get into homes and gain access to the capital they need to lead better lives.
Blend is looking for a highly motivated attorney with expertise in privacy and consumer finance to join our growing Legal & Compliance team. As a Privacy & Product Counsel, you’ll have a broad range of responsibilities, including providing legal and regulatory guidance and subject matter expertise throughout product and feature lifecycles. Your legal advice and creativity will make an immediate impact by helping drive and influence Blend’s end-to-end digital mortgage and consumer finance strategy. This role is a phenomenal opportunity to be part of a growing team and work on cutting edge issues in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment.
Blend’s Legal & Compliance team is responsible for navigating Blend's broad market impact through an evolving and complex financial, legal, and regulatory environment. We enable our industry partners to continuously refine, build, and transact on our innovative business-to-business SaaS platform and other groundbreaking technology initiatives.
How You'll Contribute:
- Counsel our Product, Engineering, Design, Business Development, and Go-to-Market teams throughout the product lifecycle on applicable legal and regulatory requirements
- Drive enterprise-wide consumer privacy initiatives and privacy assessments; advise on cybersecurity incident responses and related legal requirements
- Anticipate and identify legal and regulatory risks, and propose creative and effective solutions to address those risks
- Evaluate proposed integration partnerships and provide legal guidance regarding related privacy and regulatory risks and mitigations
- Remain up-to-date on consumer financial services and privacy laws and regulations to ensure an ongoing ability to provide sound regulatory advice
- Partner with the broader Legal & Compliance team to share information about regulatory changes and product development to facilitate support across the team
- Engage directly with clients’ legal and compliance teams regarding Blend’s products, features, functionality, configurations and integrations.
Who you are:
- 5+ years of combined, relevant experience in in-house legal departments, law firms, and/or governmental agencies
- Knowledge and application of consumer protection laws -- including TILA, RESPA, ECOA, FCRA, GLBA, HMDA and UDAAP -- and their implementing regulations
- Knowledge of domestic and global privacy and data security laws, rules, regulations, and self-regulatory guidelines, including the GLBA and CCPA
- Highly disciplined, able to make independent decisions and work with limited supervision while excelling in a fast-paced, dynamic and demanding environmentInquisitive, engaged and proactive in identifying legal issues and risks and proposing creative and effective solutions
- Able to anticipate and mitigate friction points, and take the initiative to promptly resolve and learn from challenges
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to present sophisticated issues in a clear and persuasive manner
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills
- Engaged and self-motivated team player eager to dig into consumer finance and privacy laws and regulations, learn complex and evolving products, and pitch in wherever necessary
- Experience relating to SaaS-centric issues that include privacy and security
- In-house product counsel experience at a mortgage lender, cloud technology vendor or fintech company
Benefits and Perks:
- Meaningful equity and a 401(k) plan
- Comprehensive health benefits
- Wellness benefits covering a variety of wellness activities, fitness classes, fitness equipment and more
- Stipends for work from home setup, internet, and meals
- Company-wide mental health days
- Weekly remote all hands
- Flexible work schedule, with open vacation policy
- 16 weeks of paid parental leave
Blend is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity, inclusion and belonging. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment all qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with applicable law, including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Notice at Collection for California Applicants
Read Full Job Description