Senior Counsel, Corporate Mergers & Acquisitions at Affirm (Remote)
We at Affirm seek an attorney to join our legal team as Senior Counsel, Corporate Mergers & Acquisitions. This individual will provide expertise on a range of corporate transactions and initiatives, plus help to set up and maintain Affirm's international subsidiaries. This lawyer will be able to operate independently in a fast-paced environment, working proactively with Corporate Development, Finance, Tax, People, and other teams across Affirm.
What You'll Do
- Lead or support domestic and international mergers, acquisitions, and strategic investments, including coordination of legal strategy, risk management, structuring and negotiations of transaction terms, and due diligence
- Partner with Finance, Tax, Corporate Development, People and cross-functional legal teams to complete transactions
- Establish and maintain international subsidiaries
- Coordinate with and manage outside counsel
- Assist with the creation of playbooks and template agreements
- Support sophisticated central initiatives
- Support post-closing integration
- Support internal corporate initiatives and policies
- Provide general corporate legal support to Affirm and its partners
- Assist with other corporate and securities law matters, as necessary
What We're Looking For
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school and active membership in at least one state bar
- 5+ years of experience working on complex mergers and acquisitions, with at least 4 years in a law firm that has a sophisticated corporate practice
- Corporate and transactional experience with public and private companies, with an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, investments, joint ventures and other corporate transactions
- In-depth knowledge of merger and acquisition structures, documents and legal issues
- Experience with international entities, including governance structures
- Experience in public-company corporate and securities law matters is preferred
- Business judgment and client counseling experience
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to negotiate, compromise, and demonstrate tact in sensitive situations, and to interact optimally with management
- Careful attention to detail and ability to produce quality work product
- Ability to handle and advance multiple projects in a multi-stakeholder environment
- Ability to prioritize and meet target timelines
- Ability to uphold the highest standards of discretion and confidentiality
- Self-starter with intellectual curiosity and a strong work ethic, who is capable of learning on the job, taking initiative, developing new approaches when there are no precedents, and thriving within a team
Location - Remote U.S.
Grade - USA31
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company ! The majority of our roles are remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of the U.S. Territories, Quebec, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories) unless the job indicates a different global location. We are currently building operations in Spain, Poland, and Australia. Employees in remote roles have the option of working remotely or from an Affirm office in their country of hire, and may occasionally travel to an Affirm office or elsewhere for required meetings or team-building events. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Toronto will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis, subject to local COVID-19 guidelines.
All full-time jobs at Affirm (excluding interns and apprentices) are tied to a transparent grade-based pay range taking location into account.
[Colorado Candidates] In accordance with Colorado's Equal Pay for Equal Work Act , the grade for this position in Colorado is listed above. You can find the Colorado base pay range and benefits here .
If you got this far, we hope you're feeling excited about this role. Even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We're eager to meet people who believe in Affirm's mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways-not just candidates who check all the boxes.
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that's why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2020 DEI Report .
We also believe It's On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.