Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy, and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we assess whether a candidate demonstrates our values: Clear Communication, Positive Energy, Efficient Execution, and Continuous Learning. Second, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Read more about our values and culture here.
We are building a world-class legal team to support Coinbase and its affiliates as we continue to grow the company domestically and internationally. We are looking for a highly motivated, entrepreneurial, and experienced institutional financial services attorney to serve as senior counsel to our Coinbase Custody business unit. This position is based in our San Francisco, California office and will report to our Associate General Counsel, Custody. Coinbase Custody provides crypto custodial services to institutional clients and other large holders of digital assets around the world. Embedded with Coinbase Custody, you will collaborate closely with business executives, cross-departmental team members, and Legal and Compliance department colleagues, taking a leadership role in advising our crypto custodial business on all aspects of product development and implementation.
What You'll Be Doing (i.e., Job Duties)
- Integrate into the day-to-day operations of Coinbase Custody, providing legal, business and strategic advice.
- Develop scaled strategies for addressing risk in business-centric ways and build processes that allow the business flexibility and freedom to move quickly.
- Ensure product compliance with applicable U.S. and international laws and regulations, in close collaboration with colleagues in Legal and the Compliance team.
- Be a business partner, not just an attorney.
- Provide full product life-cycle counseling.
- Look around corners and creatively solve problems for the business as they plan, build, and execute on their product roadmap.
- Identify issues that may fall outside your expertise, driving resolution by partnering with other members of the Coinbase legal team and outside counsel.
- Work cross-departmentally, including with stakeholders such as Compliance, Communications, Finance, Tax, Security, Enterprise Risk Management, Engineering, Data, Analytics, and Corporate Development.
- Respond promptly to a wide range of legal requests and coordinate closely with Legal department colleagues to ensure the swift delivery of smart, practical advice.
- Operate in a fast paced, demanding environment and pivot quickly to meet leadership's needs.
What We Look For In You (ie. Job Requirements)
- J. D. degree with 8+ years of legal experience, including in a financial services institution such as an asset manager, hedge fund, prime broker, securities exchange, or qualified custodian.
- Experience working in cross-functional teams.
- Experience advising clients on risk mitigation across technology product platforms.
- Familiarity with laws and agencies applicable to Coinbase Custody, including the Investment Advisers Act, the Investment Company Act, FINRA rules and regulations and New York State Department of Financial Services.
- Complex transactional experience, including negotiating and drafting commercial arrangements.
- Comfortable challenging the status quo and preconceived notions of what is possible as well as working in areas where regulation is still evolving.
- Interest in digital currency and blockchain technology.
- Excellent judgement, analytical rigor, clear communication, and business pragmatism.
- Comfort and experience with technology solutions that help you scale your team and practice.
- “Get to yes” approach in working with the business.
- Risk-adjusted thinking.
- Intellectual curiosity and flexibility.
- Team-oriented and collaborative.
- High EQ.
- Wisdom, authentic, sense of humor.
- Active and in good standing in one State Bar in the United States.