Senior Counsel, Intellectual Property
Brex is revolutionizing financial services for businesses, starting with corporate cards for startups. We are building the product from first principles, enabling us to have unparalleled features and a seamless, modern experience for our customers. With backing from top venture firms and industry veterans such as Peter Thiel and Max Levchin, Brex is one of the fastest-growing startups to date, and we’re looking for someone to help scale the company with incredible people across the board.
Based in San Francisco, our team is committed to creating a driven and diverse company with ambitious people from wide-ranging backgrounds. We are looking for people with a strong sense for exceptional products, a keen eye to detail, and comfort learning new technologies. Most importantly, we’re looking for people who are enthusiastic about working with a variety of backgrounds, roles, and needs.
The Legal and Compliance team makes critical decisions that impact both product development and company direction. Judgment, competence, empathy, ability to collaborate within and across functions, and a good sense of humor are critical to success on our team. Working in a fast-growing fintech startup also demands that we are problem solvers and comfortable operating in a rapidly-changing environment. The legal team is looking for a Senior IP Counsel. This is an outstanding opportunity for the right lawyer to define IP strategy for Brex and help build to develop and protect Brex's IP. You are the lawyer that engineers love spending time with and will be the primary point of contact for engineers to share their inventions. You love the details and feel a strong need to understand how a product works, and can partner to drive product development.Responsibilities:
- Define and execute on Brex’s intellectual property strategy including patents, trademarks, copyrights, and data assets
- Lead all aspects of Brex’s intellectual property program including developing processes for invention collection, prosecution of patent applications, and purchasing of IP assets
- Develop procedures to protect Brex’s marks and branding, copyrights, trade secrets, and data assets
- Partner closely with engineering and business teams
- Stay abreast of developments in financial services that may affect competitive positioning of Brex and our products
- Handle relationship with outside IP counsel
- Outstanding judgment and integrity, ability to balance complex matters independently and take very solutions- and product-oriented approach to your work
- 7+ years working experience in a combination of law firms and technology companies, with a track record of strategic protection of intellectual property assets and understanding the strategic need of IP for the business
- Creative disposition and solutions-oriented approach to lawyering that draws on your experience and your intuition coupled with validation of assumptions and the law
- Admission to practice in at least one US state and before the USPTO
- High potential and interest in growing into a management role is preferred
- Entrepreneurial and ability to work across various modes of communication; strong sense of purpose; enjoy working cross-functionally with colleagues in a low-politic environment