Senior Counsel, International Consumer Litigation at Coinbase
Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 68 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Our growing legal team is building out its litigation practice. You will be working in a cutting edge and fast paced environment, where disruptive technologies and unconventional thinking are the norm. We are seeking an experienced litigation counsel who can manage consumer litigation in the UK, Ireland, and other jurisdictions outside the US. This position will report to our Associate General Counsel, Global Consumer Litigation, who is based in the US, and will work closely with our International legal team, most of whom are located in the UK.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Manage fast-paced docket of consumer litigation outside the US.
- Develop, execute, and continuously assess Coinbase global consumer litigation strategy and tactics, including providing thought leadership, strategic direction and proactive solutions.
- Identify and mitigate consumer protection issues and risks arising out of operating the most trusted crypto platforms in numerous jurisdictions on multiple continents.
- Advise a cross-functional team of internal and external stakeholders on Coinbase’s global consumer litigation matters and strategy.
- Draft and file pleadings and briefs as needed.
- Engage and manage outside counsel to effectively and efficiently represent Coinbase.
- Work collegially and supportively with other members of the legal team.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Qualified UK or EU solicitor or barrister with at least six years litigation experience across multiple subject areas, in particular consumer matters in highly regulated industries.
- Experience managing and successfully resolving strategic litigation.
- Experience with UK and EU/IE consumer protection law.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Ability to manage expanding litigation practice, using outside counsel strategically and efficiently.
- Excellent judgment, analytical rigor, clear communication, and business pragmatism.
- Team player essential -- willing to tackle tasks large or small.
- Ability to learn new areas of the law quickly and well.
- Organized and detailed oriented.
Nice to haves:
- Familiarity with EU and UK financial services regulatory landscape, with experience in the crypto industry a bonus.
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact [email protected] coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: Ireland/EU, United Kingdom, and California. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.