VP of Regulatory Affairs & Compliance at Planet
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to decision-makers in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data and machine learning-powered analytics to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest challenges.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we are iterating in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth.
Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
We are searching for a Vice President of Regulatory Affairs & Compliance to join the Planet team! The VP of Regulatory Affairs & Compliance will be responsible for all regulatory licensing and compliance activities impacting Planet’s business and operations. As a leader in the U.S. aerospace industry, and with a global customer base, Planet must adhere to both U.S. and international regulations in the areas of export and trade, anti-corruption, radio frequency spectrum use, space-based remote sensing, privacy and more.
As VP of Regulatory Affairs & Compliance, you will report directly to Planet’s Chief Legal Officer and be a trusted advisor to teams across Planet. You will need a deep appreciation for Planet’s technology, day-to-day operations, culture and spirit of innovation. You will be called upon to consult with and partner on all aspects of Planet’s operations, including spacecraft systems, product development, sales and business development, employee matters, and security with respect to issues relating to regulatory and corporate compliance.
You will manage a small team of Planet employees dedicated to the continuous improvement of our regulatory and compliance processes and procedures. Areas of focus for Planet include:
- U.S. and International Export Controls and Licensing (e.g. ITAR and EAR)
- U.S. Trade and Investment Regulations, including OFAC and CFIUS
- U.S. and International Commercial Remote Sensing Licensing (e.g. NOAA, CRSRA and GAC)
- U.S. and International Radio Frequency Spectrum Licensing (e.g. FCC and ITU)
- U.S. and International Anti-Corruption Policies and Regulations
- International Shipping Regulations and Requirements
- Privacy Regulations, including GDPR
- Internal Compliance Programming, Training, and Documentation
In these areas, you will in some instances personally own direct relationships with regulators in the U.S. and internationally. In some instances you will be responsible for managing external counsel in service of Planet’s relationship with regulators, both domestically and internationally. It will be your responsibility, with your team, to track changes in the regulatory regimes and policies, provide analysis to Planet’s executive leadership about the impact of those changes, and keep Planet ahead of the game.
Your responsibility will be to lead all licensing and approval processes – enabling Planet’s employees to access the necessary technologies and our spacecraft and commercial data platform to operate. You will be responsible for the continued growth, improvement, and evaluation of Planet’s regulatory and compliance programs and practices – requiring close collaboration with all aspects of Planet’s global team. You will be responsible for the continued training and education of your team, and the continued evolution of Planet’s many company-wide training programs for compliance.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills:
- 10+ years experience - with any combination of private practice, in-house counsel/operations, or government regulatory employment.
- Detailed knowledge of the U.S. EAR, ITAR, OFAC, and CFIUS regulations.
- Experience with international trade and export law and compliance as applied to software, data, and/or information services businesses.
- Law Degree and license to practice law in CA, NY, or another U.S. state strongly preferred.
- History of building and implementing internal compliance and training programs preferred.
- Expertise in the space sector, satellite technology, launch, radio licensing and regulatory license requirements strongly preferred.
- Experience building and managing strong teams is also preferred.