Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to decision-makers in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data and machine learning-powered analytics to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest challenges.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we are iterating in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth.
Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is seeking a hungry communications professional to join our team and support communications functions across the organization. We’re seeking a self-starter and someone willing to roll up their sleeves and jump in head first. This person will be a strong writer and a digital native, quick to whip up a tweet or blog and full of ideas for ways Planet can continue to engage our audiences and expand our digital footprint.
They will work with journalists from all over the world, telling them about Planet’s mission to use space to help life on earth. They will draft pitches, identify new journalists who should know Planet, and will amplify media coverage internally and externally. If there’s a compelling, hidden story, this person will sniff it out, do the research, get it in front of the right audiences, and compel them to act.
This person will work with the Communications and Marketing teams to communicate Planet’s value proposition to customers in different markets, and is adept at storytelling in different voices, mediums, and formats. To do this well, this person will proactively engage with people across the organization, including in marketing, sales, product, and engineering.
If you’re a team player who is collaborative and loves to talk about space and watch rocket launches, please get in touch.
Responsibilities and Expectations:
- Create content calendar and coordinate publication of owned content including: Pulse blog, Medium, Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, other social media, and other channels and mediums
- Draft and edit original content – sometimes on-the-fly and with a quick turnaround – on behalf of company to help meet corporate objectives and vertical/market sales goals, including CEO newsletter
- Identify original content opportunities leveraging news cycles, events, Planet imagery and data, customer use cases and applications, personnel profiles, and more, and project manage them to delivery to external audiences
- Work cross-functionally with sales and product marketing teams to communicate corporate messaging, product announcements, customer stories, and compelling stories
- Work with the Communications team to write and place content in external publications (eg, thought leadership bylines)
- Work with Demand Generation and Product Marketing teams to develop content for marketing campaigns
- 2-3 years of professional communications experience with a mix of time spent in marketing, public relations, journalism, and/or advertising – whether at an agency or in-house at a company
- 2+ years in a role writing for external audiences, either in a communications role at a company or agency or in journalism
- A diverse portfolio featuring examples of professional and self-initiated projects, including writing samples
- Proven experience overseeing ideas from inception to creation to publication – on a deadline
- A self-starter who is not afraid to ask tough questions, speak up, share creative ideas, and do something we’ve never done
- Familiarity with AP and/or Chicago Manual styles and ability to provide copy editing support to teammates
- Ability to multitask and prioritize in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Must have high energy and a positive attitude
- Ability to receive constructive feedback and find solutions that balance needs
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.