Director, Communications at Upwork
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
Are you a B2B communications leader looking for a company with a great mission where you can make a significant impact? Then you’ve come to the right place. Upwork is the world’s leading online talent solution, and our mission is to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. We’re already making a big impact: each year $2 billion of work happens through Upwork.
We’re looking for a top notch Director, Communications to lead our public and media relations functions. This is the perfect opportunity if you are looking for a communications role that can make a real business impact.Your Responsibilities:
- In partnership with the VP of Communications, ensure the communications strategy is inline with and delivering on the business strategy
- Drive our public and media relations functions, including working daily with our internal PR team and PR agency to secure robust media coverage that effectively positions Upwork
- Collaborate cross-functionally across the organization to identify news and story opportunities to support our business strategy
- Work with the communications managers to manage our spokesperson program, including selecting, training and preparing media spokespeople
- Secure and plan executive speaking engagements
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships with journalists and influencers
- Help identify opportunities for data driven campaigns and strategic reports to generate impactful media coverage
- Manage our agency partner relationship
- Be a problem solver for day to day communications needs
- Build, train, coach, mentor and retain an exceptional team of communications professionals
- 10+ years of experience in B2B communications or PR with a public company
- 5+ years of people leadership, with the demonstrated ability to recruit, develop and retain top talent
- History of working closely with spokespeople and leaders
- Strong track record of delivering excellent media results, preferably in a B2B business
- Exceptional writer and dynamic speaker
- Ability to create compelling, data-driven stories and campaigns that showcase trends, impacts and customer success
- Extensive experience working with media, including top-tier national, regional, financial, and trade outlets
- Collaborative, decisive leader
- Staffing/talent industry or two-sided marketplace experience
- A leader who creates a culture of both excellence and engagement
- Proven track record of attracting and developing high potential communications talent
- A persuasive influencer who has the ability to build consensus and momentum
- Entrepreneurial-minded, business-savvy leader
Come change how the world works.
At Upwork, you’ll shape talent solutions for how the world works today. Whether you’re working from our offices in San Francisco, Santa Clara, and Chicago or are part of our globally distributed team, we’re working together to create exciting remote work opportunities for a global community of professionals. Our vibrant culture is built on a common mission and shared values. As we create economic opportunities so that people have better lives, our employees build amazing teams, put our community first and have a bias towards action. We encourage team Upwork to bring their whole selves to work through learning and development opportunities, mentorship, and employee resource groups. All that and amazing benefits too? We’ve got you covered (especially with our company favorite, Work Online Wednesdays). Check out our Life at Upwork page to learn more about the employee experience.
Upwork is proudly committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.