Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
Planet is looking for a savvy, energetic, innovative field marketing and corporate events leader to grow and execute our global events strategy and manage our regional field marketing teams. This important leadership role reports directly to the Chief Marketing Officer and leads a team of marketers that own the planning and execution of both our strategic and field marketing events and activities to support prospecting, lead and pipeline generation. This leader will be responsible not only for regional field marketing activities but also major corporate events, such as our annual Explore user conference and other major industry events. The ideal candidate has an experienced strategic approach to events, and exceptional project management and leadership abilities.
This leader will collaborate with and guide a broad range of stakeholders and partners, including sales leadership, marketing leadership, design/agency resources, product marketing, partners, customers and vendors to deliver high quality content-rich experiences that ultimately lead to awareness, pipeline, and revenue for Planet.
- Manage Field Marketing Program Worldwide. Collaborate closely with Sales leadership to drive the field marketing strategy for each region (Americas, EMEA, APAC, US Federal), prioritizing the top events and activities to generate leads, support sales pipeline creation and create broader awareness of Planet’s capabilities overall and across our key verticals.
- Partner with cross functional teams - demand generation, sales, field marketing, product, product marketing, PR/communications - to solidify messaging, content and program agendas, ensuring an integrated and consistent approach that supports and ensures the success of the sales organization. Work with the graphic design team on the content, materials and branding of the events.
- Hire, train, coach, and lead a growing global team of field marketing managers and corporate events professionals, and provide consistent and effective coaching and mentoring to help them grow professionally and impact the business.
- Manage and plan Planet’s major corporate events, including Planet’s Explore user conference, that require engagement with our senior leadership team.
- Set clear, measurable KPIs for the team and ensure our field marketing activities deliver on expected goals. Ensure each Regional Field Marketing Program supports lead gen, prospecting, pipeline and revenue generation programs.
- Drive pipeline growth by developing a quarterly marketing plan based on approved budgets including recommendations for industry specific regional activities, local sponsorships, conferences/trade shows, advertising, local events, participation in local business or trade associations, demand generation and content needs that will drive business results for each region and overall globally.
- Ensure measurements are in place to track the ROI on all activities, including working cross-functionally with the campaigns and marketing operations teams to ensure we have the right tools in place to scale out our campaigns and track marketing- influenced pipeline, marketing-sourced opportunities, and ROI on all activities. Provide weekly regional reports on results to the leadership team.
- Provide expertise and mentorship to ensure Planet field marketers have the right mix of programs and activities for each sales region, including supporting the capture and documentation of regional customer and partner success stories, and prioritizing the top priority verticals, sub verticals, and use cases.
- Ensure tight communication with HQ-based marketing teams (product marketing, comms, design, growth marketing/demand generation) to align to corporate strategy and execute quarterly plans.
- Owner and overall manager of the field marketing budget, ensuring the right mix of programs are brought to market to drive targeted leads and opportunities while remaining within expense targets each quarter.
- Leverage our global channel marketing strategy and work closely with channel marketing to effectively plan and deploy events that expand our reach through resellers and partners.
- Help facilitate regionalization and translation of corporate marketing content.
Required Skills and Experiences:
- Bachelor's degree required
- 8+ years of marketing experience planning and producing in-person, hybrid and virtual events as well as broad mix of digital marketing programs
- 4+ years of experience building and leading global field marketing teams
- Proficiency in marketing automation tools and CRM systems to ensure team can track return on investment from their campaigns and programs, lead sources, monitor lead conversion activity, and provide management reporting each month
- Experience planning and executing events at a range of budget levels and venues, with expertise in integrating key targeted messaging and branding into the key activities associated with the event (whether in-person, virtual or hybrid)
- Experience collaborating with product marketing and product teams to ensure that Planet’s messaging and demos are always aligned to the campaign or event strategy audience.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills - Detail oriented, with ability to organize, prioritize and execute multiple, ongoing projects under deadline, with an eye on business impact and quality
- Strong people management skills to build, engage and inspire team, align all stakeholders from the planning process to execution phases, and provide strong coaching and mentorship to our marketers
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, strong positioning and messaging skills
- Strong familiarity with digital marketing and event planning
- Willingness to travel up to 20%
- Strong understanding of marketing to key vertical markets with business-driven outcomes and customer-driven use cases.
- Experience supporting both direct sales and channel sales teams.
Nice to Haves:
- Familiarity with markets for satellite imagery, geographic information systems, software-as-a-service and analytics
- Familiarity marketing key vertical use cases, such as in agriculture, civil government, forestry, finance, or Consumer Packaged Goods/supply chain
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.