Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 73 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
We’re looking for a strategic, hands-on communications leader to lead our US corporate communications. This role will work closely with our executive team and will be responsible for managing Coinbase’s corporate reputation, involving both proactive and reactive communications. They will lead day-to-day efforts related to financial communications, legal communications, corporate development, employer brand and crisis and issues management.
As a communications lead, you will have the opportunity to get in on the ground floor of a company that is revolutionizing finance and technology. You will set and execute media strategy, drive message development, support executive communications and work with a range of internal stakeholders, partners and customers who share our vision of a more fair and equitable financial system for the world.
What You'll Be Doing (i.e., Job Duties)
- Create and execute a communications strategy that leverages a range of tactics including earned media, owned content and novel approaches (such as new communications platforms like Clubhouse or Substack) to support Coinbase’s mission of increasing economic freedom in the world.
- Develop proactive communications strategies to support Coinbase’s employer brand including executive communications, speaking opportunities, employee experience, and culture initiatives
- In close collaboration with our Investor Relations team, support quarterly public company earnings cycles, including investor-focused communications and other initiatives.
- Collaborate with the corporate development and business teams to create context for Coinbase’s business story, M&A and other material announcements.
- Manage reputational issues through sound communications plans and strategies and close collaboration with legal and other cross-functional teams.
- Work collaboratively with the communications team to share ensure consistent narratives across the business.
What We Look For In You (ie. Job Requirements)
- A demonstrated ability to understand complex subject matter, along with the skills needed to simplify and explain these topics for a broad audience of stakeholders.
- Experience working directly with executives and supporting executive communications programs.
- Solid working relationships with top-tier technology and financial press.
- Ability and interest in leveraging multiple formats including mainstream media, blog posts, Twitter, podcasts, and more to support company communications objectives.
- Experience managing cross-functional initiatives involving multiple stakeholders across an organization.
- Stellar writing and storytelling skills: prose that’s clear and concise, with an eye toward eliminating jargon.
- Strategic mindset: You should bring creative solutions to every problem and never see a challenge as insurmountable.
- Grace under fire: PR + crypto equals a fast-paced working environment. You should be unflappable at crunch time, and be able to deliver a quality product under the most stressful of circumstances.
- An interest in crypto and the economic freedom it can offer. Our mission is to create an open financial system for the world.
- Collaborative working style: Our comms team is small and nimble and, while we have dedicated coverage areas, we all jump in and work together to support each other when company priorities require all hands on deck.
Nice to haves:
- 7+ years relevant work experience ideally including time spent at public companies and within highly regulated industries
- An understanding of the regulatory, security and technical landscapes influencing the state of cryptocurrency today (and tomorrow).
- Experience with financial tech, crypto or traditional financial services.
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact [email protected] coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.