Compliance Lead, Merchant Engagement at Affirm
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm, Inc. proudly includes Affirm, PayBright, and Returnly.
Affirm's Compliance team maintains and evolves a compliance program that enables Affirm to proactively enforce regulatory requirements while also identifying and addressing potential compliance issues. Compliance program activities include advising, mentorship, training, independent testing & monitoring, reporting, and oversight. Although a second line of defense, Compliance proactively partners with the business to support new products, markets, and initiatives; organizational change; issue identification and remediation plans; and assessment and monitoring of third parties. Compliance also provides trends and data to enable informed decision making, strengthen controls, and provide for better treatment of consumers.
We seek a Compliance Lead who will help merchant-facing teams to onboard merchants to Affirm, in accordance with compliance requirements. In growing the company's markets and products, Compliance plays a fundamental role in company growth, completing key results and providing expertise related to regulatory requirements. The Compliance Lead will work with close colleagues and counsel to spot and assess risk within applicable requirements, plus provide mitigation assistance. Remotely located, this role will report to the Compliance Director and work cross-functionally with other teams.What You'll Do
- As a compliance lead, you'll guide and work closely with internal partners regarding merchant onboarding, which includes merchant self-service, nonstandard integrations, training, and nonstandard marketing.
- You'll partner with Merchant Risk to develop and maintain instructional and reference materials that support merchant underwriting.
- You'll collaborate with cross-functional partners to identify and address merchant-related compliance risks.
- You'll detail critical processes and optimize them to support growth and scalability, plus support Compliance in maintaining relevant policies, risk assessments, training materials, et al.
- You'll form relationships with critical business and functional partners, including bank partners.
- Bachelor's degree or comparable experience
- 4+ years of work experience in compliance risk, third-party risk management, audit, or bank regulatory
- Excellent organizational, relationship, and leadership skills
- Strong curiosity about financial technology and consumer financial protections
- Experience working with consumer financial regulations, including Reg B (ECOA), UDAAP, CAN-SPAM, FCRA, Reg E, Reg P, and Reg Z
- Clear examples of time spent as a key partner on a successful team
- Inquisitive and proactive in proposing creative and effective solutions
- Strong project management, critical thinking, and analytical skills
- Communication strengths: able to present detailed and sometimes sensitive issues verbally and in writing
Location - Remote U.S.
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of the U.S. Territories, Quebec, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories) unless the job indicates a different global location. We are currently building operations in Spain, Poland, and Australia. Employees in remote roles have the option of working remotely or from an Affirm office in their country of hire, and may occasionally travel to an Affirm office or elsewhere for required meetings or team-building events. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Toronto will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis, subject to local COVID-19 guidelines.
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2020 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.