Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
Planet is currently seeking a Global Supply Chain Manager to join our team in San Francisco, CA. In this role, you will manage all Planet’s key strategic suppliers, contract negotiations, program executions, report on KPIs, Bottoms-Up-Costing exercises and support proposal submissions to the government and commercial space missions.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Establish supplier selection criteria, evaluate alternative suppliers, manage Request-For-Information (RFI), Request-For-Quote process (RFQ), and drive final supplier selection in partnership with Cross-Functional Teams
- Proactively provide manufacturing and cost input to inform and enable product design, architecture, and feature set decisions
- Coordinate and lead Bottoms-Up-Costing exercises at component, module, and systems level to enable product design, architecture, and feature set decisions
- Drive Early Supplier Involvement to ensure component suppliers are proactively providing input into new product architecture, designs and future product generations at scale
- Negotiate key agreements with suppliers to establish best-in-class pricing, flexibility, quality, delivery, payment, warranty, and service terms
- Lead Supplier QBR processes, manage and report on KPIs
- Lead Total Cost Reduction program to ensure the lowest possible total cost, including part, capacity, inventory, transportation, and yield costs
- Develop contingency plans to de-risk technical challenges, long lead time, single source, and any other potential supply chain risks
- Execute programs to optimize schedule flexibility while minimizing excess & obsolete inventory exposure (E&O reduction)
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners and external partners to adhere to an established product development process to allow the project to adhere to program timelines at each phase gate and to meet overall program schedule
- Work closely with global suppliers/partners & product certification teams to ensure modules & components are certified on time to ensure meeting overall program timing
- Develop and maintain risk & opportunity plans to meet program objectives
- Work closely with Engineering, Quality and Operations to create a common schedule based on Material Requirements Planning (MRP)
- Monitor performance metrics and proactively act to address program and functional issues
- Travel in the Contiguous US as well as globally as needed to support product launches
What You Bring:
- 7-10 years of experience in procurement, sourcing, supplier management, or related supply chain functions, preferably in Space & Defense Supply Chain organization industry
- 5+ years of experience in supply chain managing in an ODM|CM environment
- 5+ years directly managing complex supplier production operations at multiple sites that involve multi-tier supply inputs
- Demonstrated success establishing and negotiating domestic/international sourcing and contracts
- Demonstrated ability to lead within a matrix organization and to manage multiple organizational interfaces and stakeholders
- Excellent teamwork skills and proven aptitude to partner effectively with a wide range of stakeholders (i.e., colleagues, suppliers, and internal/external customers)
- Experience with KPIs, metrics, cost modeling and direct negotiation experience
- Proven ability to lead cross-functional groups and projects
- The ability to flourish and produce within a fast-paced, sometimes ambiguous environment with changing priorities
- Ability to work independently, prioritize and multi-task while maintaining a positive and collaborative attitude
- High level knowledge of mechanical manufacturing processes including plastic molding, metal stamping/forging, die-casting, CNC, MIM, surface coating, and assembly processes
- Technical procurement or planning experience with PCB, PCBA, or electrical components as well as harnessing
- Technical knowledge of Space or Tactical related hardware as well as knowledge of operational and manufacturing processes (assembly, integration, and test) preferred
- The ability and willingness to travel up to 15% of the time for business purposes and supplier relationship management
- Working knowledge of US Government acquisition laws and regulations preferred
- Demonstrated understanding of DoD / NASA required business systems, process controls, and procedures preferred
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business Operations, Logistics or Supply Chain Management or an equivalent combination of education and experience managing logistics in space industry
- Must be a US person (e.g. citizen, permanent resident)
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.