Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
You will be joining a world class Satellite Manufacturing team. Here at Planet we approach hardware development like software: we release early and release often. Our philosophy is to iterate quickly to ensure we always have the latest technology and advancements of our platform ready for launch. That thinking is at the core of how we approach Manufacturing at Planet.
Manufacturing at Planet you are part of the Manufacturing team. You will be responsible for:
- Supporting build operations of production and prototype systems.
- Leading and coaching a team of soldering technicians
- Making recommendations and proposals on board layout and soldering class to be used
- Defining, implementing and improving SOPs
- Assist/drive efforts in building test fixtures
- Executing engineering test programs on systems and boards with a variety of analytical lab equipment (examples: Oscilloscopes, power supplies, meters, electrical loads, etc).
- Strong affinity for working with and building electrical and mechanical assemblies demonstrating proficiency and continuous improvement mindset.
- Data driven and ability to work with suppliers to increase quality
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well with people at all levels are essential. Must have strong organizational, analytical, problem solving, and management skills. Experience with MS-Office (especially Excel, Word and powerpoint) is needed to report status on a regular basis
The Must Haves:
- Knowledge of electronic and mechanical assemblies
- PCB soldering and mechanical assembly skills.
- Experience of electrical assembly (Solder, wire crimp, cable assemblies).
- Use of BGA installation/removal equipment
- Use of x-ray equipment and inspection criteria for BGA chips
- IPC 771/21 and IPC-A-610 certification
- Strong debugging for mechanical and electrical systems
- Familiarity with proper factory and lab safety/ OSHA requirements
- Impeccable organization skills
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams of professionals is required.
- Knowledge of Design for Manufacturing principles (DFM)
- Ability to coach teams on soldering techniques
The Nice to Haves:
- Educational background in EE or ME
- Aerospace experience
- Experience with collecting large amounts of data, data storage and data manipulation.
- Able to effectively contribute to a dynamic and often fast-paced, high-pressure work environment.
- Experience working with batteries and battery assemblies
- NASA soldering certificate or J-Std.-001
- Altium SW package
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.#LI-MI1