Specialist, Trust and Safety at Coinbase
We’re Coinbase. We’re the world’s most trusted way to join the crypto revolution, serving more than 73 million accounts in more than 100 countries.
Our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web 3.0 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got good vibes. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Security Operations Team
Security is a primary competency at Coinbase, and the Security Operations Team keeps a watchful eye over every aspect of it. Every day, we go to battle against some of the most sophisticated attackers in the world to protect billions of dollars worth of digital assets and ensure that our customers and employees can enjoy a safe, trusted experience. As Coinbase scales globally, our team is scaling along with it, using a blend of tooling, automation, and strategic team growth to ensure that we’re well-equipped to protect the next billion users of crypto.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
The Security Operations group is a multi-functional organization that includes our CSIRT, Trust & Safety, and Threat Intelligence. While no two days will end up looking the same, generally-speaking you’ll be responsible for the following things:
- You’ll proactively identify and investigate Fraud including account takeovers
- Work with third party vendors to perform takedowns of phishing and other malicious sites
- Investigate malicious and suspicious account activity in support of multi-team investigations and author concise reports for technical and non-technical audiences
- If something happens twice, you’ll write a runbook for it. If it happens three times, you’ll work with partner teams to figure out a way to automate that runbook.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
Some security teams have strict requirements about certifications, degrees, years of experience, and things like that. Not us! We’re more interested in the unique perspectives and expertise you’ll bring to the team rather than the acronyms on your resume. However, you’ll be much more likely to be successful in this role if these points seem like a good description of you:
- You’ve been doing practical security things (detection and response, phishkit/malware analysis, security research, etc) for a while now, probably in the realm of 1-3+ years
- You enjoy finding elegant solutions to tricky problems, the trickier the problem the more fun you have solving it.
- You frequently get praise from your peers and coworkers about your communication skills, both written and verbal.
- You can translate complex findings and results into a concise and compelling narrative.
Nice to haves:
- You would bring a diverse perspective to the team: for example, maybe you took an unconventional route to get into your current security career.
- You’ve got a passing familiarity with blockchains and cryptocurrency, or at least a good story about how you thought about investing in Bitcoin in 2014 but decided not to.
- You’ve worked on or have thought deeply about Internet-based risk, abuse, fraud, data protection or security
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.