Sr. Global Director, Climate Change Initiatives at Planet
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet is a public benefit corporation whose mission is to use space to help life on Earth. We design, build, and operate the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history, which together image the terrestrial surface of the Earth every day in high resolution. When analyzed with the tools of artificial intelligence, the data these satellites produce reveal mission-critical, actionable information about our planet, in areas like agriculture, deforestation monitoring, infrastructure assessment, biodiversity conservation, and crisis response. Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
About the Role:
Climate change is one of the paragon challenges of our times, and the window for action that will avoid locking in its worst effects is rapidly closing. To meet the moment, we will need to redesign countless systems and enable many new kinds of climate adaptation, mitigation and resilience.
Planet’s data, products, and services – and tools built upon them – can play a critical role addressing the climate emergency. Our data is already being used to measure and monitor deforestation, emissions, and other climate-related risks, and we have many other relevant technologies in our pipeline. Enabling more effective climate action is both a significant impact objective at Planet, and of strong interest to many of our commercial customers.
Accordingly, Planet is seeking a Sr. Global Director for Climate Change Initiatives who will have overall global responsibility to coordinate, expand and integrate Planet’s portfolio of climate-related initiatives. This is a senior role that will be deeply engaged in every aspect of strategy, program development, technical and product integration (as relevant), senior customer and partner management, and public thought leadership on climate-related matters – not just in the United States, but worldwide.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Driving global integration and adoption of Planet data, products and services to create significant, measurable, and durable climate outcomes.
- Partner with teams and leaders from across the organization (including the Executive, Sales, Product, Marketing, Customer Success, and Space Systems) to coordinate Planet’s climate-related programs, activities, outcomes and narrative.
- Lead the development and expansion of major climate-related partnerships with governments, intergovernmental bodies such as the United Nations, NGOs, and scientific institutions (in close coordination with Planet’s scientific, technical, and executive teams).
- Strategize and oversee the integration of Planet data into global climate mechanisms, including those of the Paris Climate Agreement, and various independent sustainability, climate and ESG reporting standards.
- Act as a key thought-leader, advising Planet customers and prospects on key climate-related themes, trends, and considerations in the use of geospatial data for accelerating climate action and reporting on climate-related risks.
- Help the sales and marketing teams develop climate-related strategic messaging, content, engagement with key events, and other platforms.
- Engage as a visible public leader with senior external stakeholders and audiences on matters related to climate.
What You Bring:
- 12+ years of work in climate-related science, policy, technology, management and/or advocacy, with an advanced degree in a climate-related field.
- A deep working understanding of the climate-related science, policy, business, and funding landscape, including deep knowledge of the Paris Climate Agreement, national climate strategies and programs, and various corporate efforts.
- Strong partnership development and relationship management capabilities.
- An exceptional personal brand as a climate leader and an extensive national and international network.
- Strong leadership experience and ability to work with colleagues across multiple disciplines and in geographically dispersed locations.
- Exceptional communications and leadership skills, including external speaking and engagement with key audiences (up to and including senior governmental leaders) and internal communication of strategic objectives and action plans to multiple teams across a variety of functions.
- A deep interest in how remote-sensing and artificial intelligence technology could be used to advance climate action.
- Deep understanding of Planet’s mission as a public benefit corporation and our related values, needs, and goals.
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Compensation (only applicable for Colorado applicants):
The base pay range targeted for this position in Colorado is: $153,000 - $272,000. This role is eligible for bonus and equity.
The actual offer, including the compensation package, is determined based on multiple factors, including experience, location, and other business considerations.
Planet is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not able to work from a state where Planet is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.