Sr. Global Director, Conservation Initiatives at Planet
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
Humanity is in the midst of a global ecocide -- a mass-extinction event, precipitated by our own hands. According to the United Nations, up to a million of the planet’s plants and animals are at risk of extinction by 2050, and between one third and one half of all species may vanish forever by the end of this century. The loss of nature is both an existential risk to humanity and one of the paragon moral issues of our time.
Planet's data, products and services can play an important role in averting this planetary emergency. Today, scientific research teams around the world use Planet data to study and quantify essential biodiversity variables and their dynamics. Our data also is used to build public goods that accelerate conservation action, such as the Allen Coral Atlas, a pioneering effort to map and monitor all of the world’s shallow-water coral reefs. (The Atlas is informing the development of a number of new marine protected areas around the world.) Likewise, our data is also used to guide conservation action by frontline conservation organizations, national parks, and national governments alike. But much more can - and must - be done to address the loss of nature.
Accordingly, Planet is seeking a Sr. Director for Conservation Initiatives who will have overall global responsibility to coordinate, expand and integrate Planet’s portfolio of conservation-related initiatives. This is a senior role that will be deeply engaged in every aspect of strategy, program development, technical and product integration (as relevant), senior customer and partner management, and public thought leadership on climate-related matters – not just in the United States, but worldwide.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Driving global integration and adoption of Planet data, products and services to create significant, measurable, and durable conservation outcomes.
- Partner with teams and leaders from across the organization (including the Executive, Sales, Product, Marketing, Customer Success, and Space Systems) to coordinate Planet’s conservation-related programs, activities, outcomes and narrative.
- Lead the development and expansion of major conservation partnerships with governments, intergovernmental bodies such as the United Nations and IUCN, NGOs, and scientific institutions (in close coordination with Planet’s scientific, technical, and executive teams). A significant focus of this work will be the development of a biodiversity assessment and monitoring program.
- Strategize and oversee the integration of Planet data into emerging global conservation mechanisms, including those oriented around 30x30, and related sustainability, biodiversity and ESG reporting standards.
- Act as a key thought-leader, advising Planet customers and prospects on key conservation-related themes, trends, and considerations in the use of geospatial data for accelerating conservation outcomes.
- Help the sales and marketing teams develop conservation-related strategic messaging, content, engagement with key events, and other platforms.
- Engage as a visible public leader with senior external stakeholders and audiences on matters related to conservation.
What You Bring:
- 12+ years of work in biodiversity/conservation-related science, policy, technology, management and/or advocacy, with an advanced degree in a related field.
- A deep working understanding of conservation science, policy, business, and funding landscape, including deep knowledge of emerging global frameworks, conservation strategies and programs, and various corporate efforts.
- An exceptional personal brand as a sustainability, conservation or biodiversity leader and an extensive national and international network.
- Strong leadership experience and ability to work with colleagues across multiple disciplines and in geographically dispersed locations.
- Exceptional communications and public leadership skills, including external speaking and engagement with key audiences (up to and including senior governmental leaders) and internal communication of strategic objectives and action plans to multiple teams across a variety of functions.
- A deep interest in how remote-sensing and artificial intelligence technology could be used to advance conservation outcomes.
- Deep understanding of Planet’s mission as a public benefit corporation and our related values, needs, and goals.
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.
Compensation (only applicable for Colorado applicants):
The base pay range targeted for this position in Colorado is: $153,000 - $272,000. This role is eligible for equity.
The actual offer, including the compensation package, is determined based on multiple factors, including experience, location, and other business considerations.
Planet is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not able to work from a state where Planet is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.