Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
The Technical Support Engineer will be responsible for managing and resolving challenging issues for Planet partners and customers. This includes developing subject matter expertise within the customer success department and collaborating with other team members. The successful candidate will be able to quickly gain an understanding of the Planet platform, Data API and internal applications. This is a customer-facing role in a very collaborative environment and therefore it requires strong interpersonal skills. You will build strong relationships with customer engineering teams to ensure smooth product deployments and timely resolution of technical problems. Your contributions will directly enable customers to understand our changing world. Important Note: This is a 4 day/week, 10 hour shift role (8am-6pm PST).
Impact You’ll Own:
- Provide technical support to Planet customers, partners, and Planet employees via email, phone, chat, or in person (as necessary)
- Meet/exceed customer expectations on response frequency, quality and overall experience
- Build strong relationships with partner teams including engineering, Customer Success Managers, sales, product management.
- Troubleshoot technically complex issues and understand how those issues impact the customers business priorities in order to develop solutions
- Disposition and prioritization of product bugs and enhancement requests to the appropriate organization
- Participate in projects that improve the efficiency, quality, and overall customer experience with Planet products and services
What You Bring:
- 2+ years experience working as a technical support engineer in a customer facing role
- 2+ years experience in troubleshooting complex technical issues with the ability to understand how those issues impact the customers business priorities
- 2+ years experience in problem recreation and root cause analysis
- Familiarity with GIS applications (ESRI, QGIS)
- Familiarity with geo-spatial data, satellite imagery, and remote sensing
- Familiarity with API development
- Familiarity with relational databases (e.g. MySQL, Oracle)
- Working knowledge of the components in a web applications stack
- Experience with Zendesk, JIRA, or comparable ticketing systems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to clearly articulate solutions to technical problems
- Proven ability to maintain a professional demeanor when handling complex user issues
- Ability to work independently, as well as contributing as a team player
- Ability to multitask and prioritize workload
- Willingness to travel as necessary to client sites
- Participate in scheduled weekend on-call support as needed
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent combination of technical education and work experience
- Must be based in the US, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, or Colombia
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Compensation (For Colorado Applicants Only):
The base pay range targeted for this position in Colorado is: $93,600 - $156,600. This role is eligible for equity.
The actual offer, including the compensation package, is determined based on multiple factors, including experience, location, and other business considerations.
Planet is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not able to work from a state where Planet is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.#LI-TK1#LI-REMOTE