TIP: Systems Engineer at Upwork
Upwork ($UPWK) is the leading tech solution for companies looking to hire the best talent, maintain flexibility, and get more done. We’re passionate about our mission to create economic opportunities so people have better lives. Every year, more than $2 billion of work is done through Upwork by skilled professionals who want the freedom of working anytime, anywhere. Top companies connecting with extraordinary talent around the globe? Upwork is how.
This position is through Upwork’s Talent Innovation Program (TIP). Our TIP team is a global group of professionals that augment Upwork’s business. Our TIP team members are located all over the world.
Upwork is looking for a Systems Engineer that is passionate about building and managing highly reliable, flexible and scalable systems that support our most meaningful systems. In this position, you will be responsible for helping our operational team on several initiatives to enhance and scale our IT Infrastructure needs in a fast growing SaaS environment. You will provide technical expertise while working with cross-functional teams to achieve compliance, revamping our Identity Management System, integrating applications with our Identity Provider and improving/enhancing existing services hosted by Upwork IT.
- Excellent verbal communication skills with ability to translate technology related jargon to diverse groups of technical and non-technical users
- Excellent written communication skills with ability to develop technical documents
- On-call resource for resolving technical emergencies
- Perform implementation, operational support, maintenance, and optimization of cloud and on premise infrastructures
- Diagnose problems relating to critical services such as Active Directory, Jira, Confluence etc. to prevent problem recurrence
- Maintaining and enhancing existing scripts, tools, and methodologies
- Basic understanding of network/server technologies and the challenges associated with delivering networked/server-based applications
- Basic knowledge of software driver implementation, IP schemas and network protocols
Must Haves (Required Skills):
- Minimum of 2 years of Linux system administration experience (Ubuntu preferred)
- Minimum of 2 years of Windows System Administration experience (AD, DNS, DHCP, PKI)
- Experience with one or more scripting languages: Python, PowerShell, Bash or Perl
- Experience with administering Atlassian application stack: Jira, Confluence, BitBucket
- Experience with networking, ideally managed Cisco/Meraki/Ruckus network devices
- Experience with LDAP, GSuite and SSO authentication
- Experience with administration of VMware ESXi and AWS (EC2, HFS, S3, RDS, Lambda)
- Able to work with an overlap of 4-5 hours during the morning of Pacific Standard Time business hours
- You pride yourself in being an energetic self-starter who shows personal initiative and has experience working in a rapidly changing environment.
- Excellent problem-solving skills with strong attention to detail
Nice to Haves (Not Required):
- Strong Experience with Windows and Linux system administration especially in Windows 2016 and Ubuntu.
- Experience with Postgres, MySql, Nagios, Apache, Nginx, Git.
- Experience in maintenance of AD, LDAP, Vulnerability Management and Monitoring systems.
Upwork is proudly committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workforce. We never discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical condition), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.