As a marketplace, trust is central to our success, and one of Udemy’s most important roles is as that of a fair platform. To maintain that trust from our students and instructors, we need to have a clear and reasonable set of rules, and enforce those rules consistently. In this role, you will be responsible for the hardest or most sensitive cases, enforcing a consistent policy and communicating the decision reasons effectively. You’ll be intimately familiar with our marketplace policies, how they are enforced, and what the grey areas around a policy look like, and will help our contract team when they have difficult decisions. You will have opportunities to build process, write articles, and train a remote team to ensure consistency in judgement and enforcement. You’ll also work closely with Legal and Brand teams to inform them of potential issues, craft the right messaging, and execute the customer side of any resolution.
What you'll do:
- Effectively resolve Policy violations with instructors or students escalated to you by remote agents or other members of the Udemy team, key focus area of Japanese market.
- Identify, understand, and communicate top issues and trends that need broader attention from the rest of the company. Advocate product and process improvements based on data patterns to close loopholes, mitigate risk, and improve business processes
- Inform Udemy’s marketplace policies to make sure that both students and instructors are governed fairly. Identify areas in our policies that need more clarity, and work with team to improve our product, or position on an issue.
- Coordinate and collaborate cross-functionally with other teams like Support, Legal, PR, Product, Community, Instructor Account Management
- Develop customer-centric insights that will inform policy and product decisions, with an eye toward proactive, scalable, preventative solutions
We're excited about you because you'll have:
- 2-4 years of experience in a Customer Support or T&S role at a consumer internet or e-commerce company, with a strong preference for experience at a marketplace company
- Ability to separate emotion from a situation and follow a data-oriented, structured way of thinking to ensure reason based judgement
- A hyperactive sense of customer empathy, able to understand all sides of a situation and respond with a human touch while efficiently scaling
- Strong work ethic and ability to handle the sometimes overwhelming influx of new cases
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, in English and Japanese. You can synthesize key points or complex situations to craft messaging for any audience, large or small.
- Convicted but Open-minded -- you have a strong moral and business sense, but are able to adapt based on what we learn over time (what you learn is as or more important than what you know)
- Understanding of SQL (MySQL and/or PostgreSQL) and Excel or willingness to learn
- Self-motivated, solid team player, willing to step outside of your role and chip in whenever necessary to achieve success
- Great business acumen and the ability to translate business requirements into technical requirements and actionable project plans.
We believe anyone can build the life they imagine through online learning. Today, more than 50 million students around the world are advancing their careers and passions by exploring and mastering new skills on Udemy, and expert instructors are able to share their knowledge with the world. Through our global marketplace and our solutions for businesses and governments, we connect people everywhere with the skills they need for success in work and life. We’re a close-knit bunch that enjoys problem-solving and collaboration, and we share a serious belief in the power of learning and teaching to change lives. Udemy’s culture encourages innovation, creativity, passion, and teamwork. We also celebrate our milestones and support each other every day.
Founded in 2010, Udemy is privately owned and headquartered in San Francisco’s SOMA neighborhood with offices in Denver (Colorado), Dublin (Ireland), Ankara (Turkey), Gurugram (India), and São Paulo (Brazil).
Udemy in the News
Udemy Raises 50 Million at a 2 Billion Dollar Valuation from Japanese Publisher Benesse
Paid Paternity Leave Should be the Norm in the U.S.
Breakdown of Most In-Demand Skills for 2020—Finance, Marketing, Sales and Engineering
How Investing in Yourself Today Will Set You Up for Career Success Tomorrow
Feedback Isn’t the Problem, but the Way That We Deliver It Is Broken
Read Full Job Description