Vice President of Customer Service at Udemy
Sorry, this job was removed at 4:14 a.m. (PST) on Monday, March 9, 2020
ABOUT THE ROLE:
Today Udemy relies on over 120 people around the world to provide support to our global customer base: more than 40 million students, 50,000 instructors, and 4,000 corporate customers. We are looking for a seasoned customer experience leader and stellar manager to take our global customer operations to the next level. You would manage our Customer Support and Trust and Safety teams and report to an SVP or C-Level member of our executive team.
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
- Defining the mission, vision, strategy, and roadmap for creating a world-class customer support team delivering stellar customer experiences efficiently - and then executing against these plans every day.
- Leveraging process and technology to improve the efficiency of our global support teams.
- Building a strong global team, including creating career paths, managing burnout, and developing a framework for a global vendor strategy.
- Serving as the voice of the customer internally, driving awareness of user pain points and partnering cross-functionally to develop comprehensive solutions.
- Improving the accuracy and actionability of our data infrastructure; managing the creation of dashboards and reporting of progress against key metrics to Udemy’s executive team.
- Being professionally paranoid, and architecting a system to keep us one step ahead of bad guys, tackling complex and challenging problems such as fraud and piracy.
- Managing the Trust and Safety function, including the development, review, and refinement of policies and practices in partnership with our Marketing, Product, and Legal teams.
We're excited about you because you have:
- You’ve done it before. You’ve either built a world-class customer experience team or had a front seat in an organization that did. You have a strong background in customer research and analytics techniques, customer strategy, process improvement, and performance management. Bonus points if that experience took place in an e-commerce business.
- You are action-oriented. You have a demonstrated ability to create shared vision, inspire collaboration, and drive change with momentum and energy. You set aggressive goals and advocate to obtain the resources your team needs to meet them.
- You are data-driven. You have a deep understanding of the primary metrics that a customer experience should be monitoring, what levers influence those metrics, and how those metrics might vary given Udemy’s business. When you close your eyes, you can picture the dashboard that you use to run this team.
- You are empathetic. You will lead a team of people around the world providing services to people around the world. You want to empower your team members and help them grow within the team and the company.
- You think globally. You have managed large BPOs and know when and how to effectively integrate third-party vendors into support strategy and operations. You have experience in the context of a global business and understand the implications that operating globally has on factors like vendor strategy, content localization, etc.
- You have designed and installed Customer Service Systems. Given our high volumes and global presence, tools and processes are essential to Udemy’s ability to deliver high quality customer support efficiently. You can help us evaluate what our toolkit should be and advocate for the resources needed to effectively implement this toolkit. You are a structured thinker who can help the team think about where improved processes are the right answer.
- You have experience managing T&S. Understanding how customer support and trust and safety are similar—and different—will be an asset in making you a more effective owner of a holistic customer experience team. Experience managing an anti-fraud function a plus.
- You have familiarity with issues related to user-generated content. Udemy’s educational content is instructor-generated and thus generates intellectual property issues. Knowledge of industry standard processes for handling copyright challenges (DMCA) is a plus. The ability to streamline these processes will be important in your role
- You’ve managed through ambiguity. Udemy is growing quickly. Some days that will mean excitement. Some days it will mean confusion. Some days it will mean both. You understand this and you are able to drive the agenda to continue to scale and execute and you are able to lead a team through change with an entrepreneurial mindset.
- You have D2C and B2B experience. Udemy is both a D2C and a B2B business. Understanding what is similar—and different—about providing customer support in both contexts will serve you well.
- Experience managing an anti-fraud function a plus. You have familiarity with issues related to user privacy.
We believe anyone can build the life they imagine through online learning. Today, more than 50 million students around the world are advancing their careers and passions by exploring and mastering new skills on Udemy, and expert instructors are able to share their knowledge with the world. Through our global marketplace and our solutions for businesses and governments, we connect people everywhere with the skills they need for success in work and life. We’re a close-knit bunch that enjoys problem-solving and collaboration, and we share a serious belief in the power of learning and teaching to change lives. Udemy’s culture encourages innovation, creativity, passion, and teamwork. We also celebrate our milestones and support each other every day.
Founded in 2010, Udemy is privately owned and headquartered in San Francisco’s SOMA neighborhood with offices in Denver (Colorado), Dublin (Ireland), Ankara (Turkey), Gurugram (India), and São Paulo (Brazil).
Udemy in the News
Udemy Raises 50 Million at a 2 Billion Dollar Valuation from Japanese Publisher Benesse
Paid Paternity Leave Should be the Norm in the U.S.
Breakdown of Most In-Demand Skills for 2020—Finance, Marketing, Sales and Engineering
How Investing in Yourself Today Will Set You Up for Career Success Tomorrow
Feedback Isn’t the Problem, but the Way That We Deliver It Is Broken
Read Full Job Description