Manager - Product Data Analytics at Fivestars
Are you fascinated by human behavior? Do you have an innate need to understand and influence how people act? Do you naturally look for the soul hidden in the numbers? Can you illuminate that soul and create a story that non-analytical minds can grasp and rally behind? Do you enjoy working with Product and Marketing teams to deliver on customer needs? Does working closely with cross-functional teams excite you? If so, we want you!
Fivestars is seeking a Manager of Product Data Analytics. Reporting to the Director of Analytics and Data Science, you will work with the Product team at Fivestars to understand customer pain points and deliver value to consumers, merchants, and shareholders. This is a high-visibility/high-impact role expanding our understanding of consumer/merchant behavior, influencing product strategy, and driving the successful growth of Fivestars.
We are ideally looking for a candidate who has a solid technical background along with an excellent understanding of human behavior - a practicing behavioral economist!
At Fivestars, our mission is to help businesses and communities thrive by turning every transaction into a relationship. Over 50 million people use Fivestars to get rewarded at more than 14,000 local businesses with one rewards program. Local businesses use Fivestars to bring more customers into their stores with an all-in-one marketing and payments program. Fivestars drives over $3 billion in local commerce across its network per year.
Fivestars was launched out of Y-Combinator in 2011 (most recently on Y-Combinator’s Top 75 Companies List for 2019) and has raised over $105 million from notable investors including Lightspeed, DCM, HarbourVest, Menlo Ventures, Y-Combinator, and others. Together, let’s love local!
- Understand data infrastructure (Redshift/Tableau/Python), product strategy, business model, and competitive landscape
- Write sophisticated SQL queries to extract data
- Build dashboards (in Tableau) to help run the business
- Design and analyze A/B tests to iteratively optimize product
- Perform complex analyses (using R/Python) to extract learnings and deliver insights
- Communicate findings - emphasizing clarity, completeness, and actionability
- SQL – write sophisticated and optimized queries against large databases
- Business Acumen – understand business drivers
- Problem Solving – apply structured methods to analyze problems and develop solutions
- Communication – share easy-to-grasp and actionable insights
- Build relationships – influence adoption of analytics findings
- Scripting – use a scripting language like Python/R
- Tableau – build clear and actionable dashboards (nice to have)
- Undergraduate degree in a highly quantitative/technical field (e.g. Physics, Computer Science, Economics, etc.) from a top-tier university
- Graduate degree (MS, MBA, PhD, etc.) in a similar field will be highly valued but is not required
- 5+ years of experience and steadily increasing responsibility in an analytics function – ideally in a consumer-facing business.
- Ability to solve business problems and provide clear and analytically-supported solutions
- Demonstrated intellectual curiosity
- Pre-IPO stock options
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Great downtown-SF office location
- 4 weeks PTO + 11 paid-holidays per year
- Three in-office lunches per week and a fully-stocked kitchen with fruit, (healthy) snacks, coffee, and drinks
- Team happy hours and company-sponsored events
- Wellness Benefit - $500 per year to spend on eligible physical or mental well being
- FSA; short-/long-term disability coverage; life Insurance; 401K; EAP; and commuter benefits
Fivestars provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Fivestars complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.