Principal Product Manager, Connect at Instacart
Every year, people across the world spend nearly one trillion dollars on groceries. Groceries are a vital part of our lives, but shopping for them hasn’t fundamentally changed since the first supermarket opened 100 years ago.
Food is sustenance, but it’s also much more than that. Food can be a part of a daily ritual or a special moment that resonates with people on a meaningful and emotional level. It can be a much-needed break in a long day, a taste that brings back memories, a creative experiment, a shared meal with loved ones, or even comfort during a hard time. Whether it’s a special occasion or an everyday occurrence, it should always be easy for people to get the ingredients they need.
The Instacart Product Team is dedicated to making grocery shopping effortless for everyone. By helping take care of the shopping, we help people get great food and give them back time so they can do what matters most to them. We’re finding solutions to large-scale challenges that will forever change the way people feed themselves and their loved ones.
We're building a team of incredibly talented product leaders to define and execute on our vision of being the world leader in online grocery. You'll work among star engineers, designers, data scientists, and operators in a fast-growing environment. The role demands a mix of principled thinking, well-honed product sense, and technical depth.
About Instacart Connect
The Instacart Engineering team seeks a Product Manager responsible for Instacart Connect. Instacart Connect is a set of APIs that allows retailers to integrate their e-commerce applications with Instacart’s order fulfillment capabilities.
The Instacart Connect API platform allows retailers to leverage Instacart’s expertise in picking, shopper/consumer communication, product recommendations, availability management and customer support. Connect is a framework that allows external APIs to be built from domains within Instacart’s system and exposed externally in a secure & fault-tolerant manner. A considerable percentage of Instacart’s revenue flows through Connect and the product is in high demand.
In this role, you will get to know the needs of retail customers and own the delivery of products responsive to their needs. You will also understand the roadmap of the Instacart system and understand the implications of pending changes for our retail customers.
ABOUT THE JOB
- Lead a cross-functional team of engineering, research, data science, operations, marketing, local markets, and more.
- You'll drive product definition, strategy, and long term vision for our API customers and understand their forward looking needs.
- Identify the biggest problems to solve. Drive new feature development from start to finish
- Run user research, usability studies, data-driven experiments to inform product direction
- Build, measure, and iterate rapidly
- Consistently integrate behavior data and customer feedback into key product decisions
- Communicate product plans, benefits and results to all audiences - within teams, company, to users, press etc.
- Prioritize work for your team, making difficult tradeoffs on design based on business constraints, ensuring on-time deliverables and high-quality software.
- Participate in interviewing, hiring decisions, on-boarding, and mentoring new Engineers with the goal of quickly making them productive members of your team.
- Develop a team culture of ownership, teamwork, and empathy that reinforces the core values of Instacart.
- 7+ years in Product Management at a technology company, ideally working on APIs for third parties.
- Experience building APIs for audiences with a variety of sophistication. (Large S&P 500 corporations and small development teams.)
- Experience delivering impactful products and features that are heavily informed by data as well as user research
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems by creating customer-first solutions and thinking from first principles
- Strong data driven problem solving skills
- Passion for building products that unlock value for people who are not power users
- Experience influencing the Executive Team members on key strategy and cross-functional initiatives