Product Manager, Derived Hyperspectral Products at Planet
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Position Planet’s hyperspectral product offerings to bring maximum value to our customers
- Engage lighthouse customers centered around this new product development;
- Oversee the development of the initial commercial products and help define the longer-term strategy to capture additional opportunities in various markets, including defense, energy, agriculture, government, and forestry;
- Work closely with the engineering team and our strategic partners on the initial product build-out
- Capture and prioritize product requirements from multiple sources: customers, users, Sales, Engineering, Customer Success, Tech Support, etc.
- Maintain prioritized feedback/input to maximize value of Planet products and work to properly prioritize within overall product roadmap
- Work closely with Sales and Product Marketing to clearly articulate value of the hyperspectral derived products for targeted markets
- Work with strategic partners in the government, scientific and philanthropic communities to source feedback and input, coordinate cross-partner efforts, and ensure products are meeting established requirements
- Assess and understand the landscape of hyperspectral data products and analytical services, including public and proprietary datasets as well as analytical platform services
What You Bring:
- Extensive experience in an industry where advanced sensing could be applied such as defense, atmospheric sciences, agriculture, energy, environmental conservation or geology
- 5+ years as a power-user of satellite imagery, remote sensing and GIS with specific experience using hyperspectral imagery
- A solid understanding of the benefits and challenges of processing and analyzing hyperspectral data
- A mixture of high energy, flexibility and team orientation with a direct, honest, and respectful approach to problem-solving, and an ability to work both collaboratively and independently in a high-growth, start-up culture
- Outstanding executive communication (speaking and writing), interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and creative thinking skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously without sacrificing attention to detail
- Ability to coordinate people and technical resources across multiple areas of the company
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.
Compensation (For Colorado Applicants Only):
The base pay range targeted for this position in Colorado is: $116,100- $187,200. This role is eligible for bonus and equity.
The actual offer, including the compensation package, is determined based on multiple factors, including experience, location, and other business considerations.
Planet is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not able to work from a state where Planet is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.#LI-REMOTE