Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
As a Product Manager at Planet, you lead complex, multi-disciplinary engineering projects using your engineering expertise and product vision. You plan requirements with internal customers and usher projects through the entire product lifecycle. This includes managing coordinating stakeholder input, product roadmap and schedules, identifying risks, and clearly communicating them to stakeholders. You're equally at home explaining your analyses and recommendations to executives as you are discussing the technical trade-offs in product development with engineers.
You will be primarily responsible for the ongoing evolution of Planet’s core imagery products. You will work on the core foundation of all of Planet’s products: from 50cm high resolution imagery to our multi-spectral daily global imagery. You’ll be responsible for gathering requirements and setting goals to make Planet’s core imagery ideally suited to all of our users downstream; from our most valuable customers to our internal analytic models. You will work very closely with the other imagery product managers as well as engineering teams to clearly articulate requirements and priorities. In addition, you will look to customers and customer-facing teams to gather feedback on our core imagery products.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Evolve Planet’s core imagery catalogue into a kit of building blocks that support infinite downstream products
- Build and maintain a roadmap for constant improvement and advancement of our core imagery products
- Work closely with Sales and Product Marketing to understand customer needs and how to ensure our imagery products supports user workflows
- Provide guidance to clients, partners, and team members for issue resolution related to your product
- Work across the entire organization to cultivate and drive the product roadmap
- Ensure consistent execution of product lifecycle process from concept to launch through management of people and projects.
- Set project priorities and work through team leads to advance projects from development through implementation
- Capture and prioritize product requirements from multiple sources.
What You Bring:
- 2+ years experience as a product manager
- Experience in satellite imagery applications and characteristics; familiarity with concepts like resolution, compositing, mosaicing, rectification, etc.
- A strong intuitive grasp on common organizational challenges, cross-department interactions, and business/enterprise toolchains.
- Ability to coordinate people and technical resources across multiple areas of the company
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills at the technical level
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and creative thinking skills
- Must be energetic, creative, and self-motivated
- Bachelor's or master's in computer science, GIS, Geography, Remote Sensing or related field
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Compensation (For Colorado Applicants Only):
The base pay range targeted for this position in Colorado is: $138,600- $187,200. This role is eligible for bonus and equity.
The actual offer, including the compensation package, is determined based on multiple factors, including experience, location, and other business considerations.
Planet is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not able to work from a state where Planet is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.#LI-REMOTE#LI-CL1