Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
As the Sr. Product Manager, Real Time Insights, you are responsible for the product strategy and development of Planet's next generation real time high resolution tasking capability. You will design, specify and build Planet’s next generation tasking capability based on near real time communications and next generation high resolution spacecraft. You will define Planet’s real time tasking capability such that Planet is competitive with “direct access” providers but builds product capabilities that are far better and more valuable in the market. This PM must coordinate closely with:
- Tasking PM and software team to ensure good user interfaces to this next gen capability
- High Resolution Mission Director to ensure product requirements for responsiveness are clearly captured in the program plans
- High Resolution Imagery PM to ensure imagery product requirements are clearly understood and various imagery products flow through Real Time Insights workflows
- Analytics PM and software team to ensure onboard processing products are compatible with broader, on the ground, analytics products
- Broader engineering teams to understand Planet’s tech stack and the art of the possible for low latency network architectures, and to influence Planet’s R&D roadmap.
You will work closely with engineering teams to ensure the new imagery and real time tasking interfaces are ready for customers on day one of operations. You will proactively engage across Product Management and Engineering to ensure RTI dependencies outside your direct control are represented in the product roadmap. The current maturity of the next generation high resolution mission means you will continue to refine and clarify spacecraft, payload and ground infrastructure requirements for the Space Systems team. In addition, you will work with the software engineering team to develop the proper data processing pipeline and novel fast track pipeline(s).
Most importantly, you will ensure excellent product-market-fit for Planet’s Real Time Insights and next generation high resolution products. This requires tight coordination across the broader go-to-market team and relentless drive to create a customer-centric, sustainable and profitable business.
Product Management is not the direct supervisor of their engineering teams. Thus, to be effective, you must demonstrate a strong commitment to Planet’s cultural values, agile principles and leadership through influence to succeed in this role.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Ensure that the capabilities delivered by the program meet the needs of the market with a viable business model.
- Work across the go-to-market team to ensure the proper business model
- Work with Mission Director on other strategic initiatives like financing and rollout strategy
- Accountable for ensuring that Real Time Insights product development is clearly represented in Planet’s commercial, technical and product roadmap
- Ensure Real Time Insights and next gen high res products are fully integrated and complementary to Planet’s broader product suite, and have a compelling near term commercial business case.
- Acts as Planet’s ambassador for Real Time Insights to potential partners, customers and the press as needed.
- Supports strategic capture activities such as RFPs with major customers
What You Bring:
- Deep expertise in tasking business models and remote sensing technology.
- The ability to operate effectively and decisively in an information rich environment with minimal guidance and extended autonomy.
- The ability to make decisions that align with Planet’s technical and strategic roadmap as well as Planet’s core values.
- A strong interpersonal skill set where team alignment can consistently be delivered and maintained.
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.