Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
Planet is looking for a VP of Platform product management. This role reports to the President of Product and Business and owns the strategic product roadmap, product vision and driving execution of the overall portfolio and product strategy to bring Planet’s imagery, data and solutions to existing and new markets. This role is responsible for guiding and leading teams consisting of both direct reports as well as matrixed employees from across the business.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Develop, design, and implement product and market strategy for the Planet Data Platform to align with business goals
- Work with product managers and cross-functional teams to prioritize and communicate high level and detailed product specifications
- Build, maintain, and communicate product launch plans and track the deliverables, milestones, risks and dependencies from the cross functional product and software engineering team.
- Anticipate bottlenecks, explore contingencies and provide escalation management throughout the product development process.
- Use analytics tools to make smarter, more data-informed product and project decisions.
- Provide staff with technical and people support, ensuring they receive training to support career growth and needs of the organization
- Encourage high performance and innovation by engaging employees in decision-making and development of new product and process improvement ideas
What You Bring:
- 10+ years of experience as a product lead of commercial software products
- 5+ years of experience managing teams of 10 or more
- 10+ year experience managing at a technology company that provides software and information products, with a proven record of excellent leadership
- Bachelor’s degree
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Track record for managing complex cloud product launches with aggressive schedules
- Executive presence and ability to communicate effectively to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Strong data analytical skills and proven experience developing and using tools to analyze large data sets to drive decisions.
- Experience with cross geographical project coordination and management
- Proven problem solving skills.
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Our CEO, Will Marshall featured on TED and featured in a Planet Blog
“Planet: Bringing Space Back Down to Earth”
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
“Planet And Rocket Lab Create Mission Patch To Honor Women In Aerospace” —Planet Blog
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.#LI-MK1#LI-REMOTE