Head of Live Ops at Skillz
Skillz is driving the future of entertainment by accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for an exploding mobile-first audience worldwide. The company’s platform empowers mobile game developers and players with democratized access to fun, fair and skill-based competition for real prizes, shifting the paradigm to make eSports accessible to anyone, anywhere with a mobile device.
Skillz helps developers build multi-million dollar game franchises by turning content into competitive social gaming properties for the world’s 2.6 billion gamers. The company has already worked with 13,000 game developers, leveraging its patented technology to host over 800 million tournaments for 18 million players worldwide.
This year, Skillz was recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies and CNBC Disruptor 50 (for the second time). In 2018, Skillz was listed as one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups and Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Companies. In 2017, Inc. Magazine ranked Skillz the No. 1 fastest-growing private company in America.
The company is backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports luminaries, ranging from Liberty Global, Accomplice, Wildcat Capital, Telstra Ventures, and a founder of Great Hill Partners to the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets, and Sacramento Kings.
Live Ops is a mindset, an approach to managing a live game and it’s player base to drive ongoing user engagement, retention, and satisfaction. As the Head of Live Ops at Skillz, you will develop a Live Ops team and program to create money-can’t-buy experiences and forever customers across the Skillz mobile gaming platform.
- Manage a world-class Live Ops team and program designed to drive heightened monetization and deep retention of mobile gaming players across the network of game environments on the Skillz platform
- Partner with the player marketing team to segment players and make targeted communications or offers appropriate for each segment
- Design special in-game and system-wide live events to stimulate engagement of active and lapsed players
- Lead the controlled and intelligent execution of Live Ops initiatives across many teams including Marketing, Customer Service, UA, PR, and Product.
- Collect and analyze game data to provide insight into how to tune and improve Skillz games
- Partner with Product Development team to spec new tools and features to enable next generation Live Ops
- Develop KPIs and reporting to regularly monitor the progress and efficacy of the program
- Work alongside teammates who care about creating money-can’t-buy experiences for forever customers as much as you do
- 3+ years experience in product management, analytics, consulting or related field
- Excellent communication skills, analytical ability, and attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills, with the ability to respond to feedback and implement ideas in a changing environment
- Ability to provide clear direction, set measurable goals and give insight on industry trends
- Previous experience in mobile games a plus, but not required