We are looking to grow our Program Management team, which works at the intersection of cutting-edge engineering, cost-effective supply chain and manufacturing, complex healthcare systems, and highly regulated airspaces. We are looking for a versatile technical leader, strong in both strategy and execution with proven success achieving and expanding aviation regulatory approvals in novel programs. At Zipline, we envision Program Management as not only the glue that will hold cross-functional teams together but also as an empowered decision-making function, driving us forward to achieve our ambitious mission of providing every human on Earth with instant access to vital medical supplies.What You'll Do
You will serve as the hands on program manager for not only getting Type Certification and Production Certification but also continuing to ensure expansion and compliance of these certifications over time in alignment with our mission objectives. In addition to being a primary technical interface with the FAA (and other international aviation certification authorities), you will also lead Zipline to achieve our cross-functional US launch objectives. Here are some examples of challenges you’ll tackle:
- Setting and communicating program objectives and priorities.
- Liaise with the relevant certification authorities (primarily the FAA) in order to establish certification basis and identify means of compliance, which you will then translate into requirements for the UAS and test plans to demonstrate that compliance where appropriate.
- Interact, integrate, and drive results across cross-functional teams in engineering, regulatory, manufacturing, sales, operations, and more to achieve timely and successful certification while removing obstacles the teams face along the way.
- Develop, maintain, and communicate the appropriate Regulatory Plan, ranging from when we will achieve a high level regulatory objective to specific document submission dates.
- Ensuring critical cross-team efforts are well owned (including owning some yourself) such as driving to agreement with the FAA on adequate command and control performance as well as the internal plan to exceed it, resolving a critical safety issue, or ensuring compliance with a cross-cutting regulatory requirement.
- Lead cross-functional regulatory milestone readiness reviews such as assuring the cross-functional teams are aligned and the program is ready to submit a major Type Certification amendment.
- Ensure consistency and currency with the latest design in our regulated documents such as UAS Flight Manual (UFM), UAS Maintenance Manual (UMM), Critical Parts Lists, Concept of Operations, etc.
- You'll collaborate closely with the global policy team to ensure policy initiatives align with aviation regulatory objectives.
- Continuously perform relevant risk and opportunity analyses to stay ahead of the game and address problems before they impact the program.
- Provide clear updates at both working and executive level.
- Create and refine processes, templates, and tools for our regulatory deliverables and interfaces.
- You have led aviation programs to initial Type Certification, Production Certification, and/or amendments to these certifications.
- You have the aviation experience to both help us see around corners with certification authorities such as the FAA and the credibility to present our positions to them with confidence.
- You are excited about working with certification authorities to shape sensible and data driven regulations and UAS best practices.
- You have the engineering background and experience to meaningfully engage with internal engineering teams as well as be the OEM technical lead to certification authorities.
- You thrive at driving accountability across teams to achieve impressive program results.
- You have succeeded in a program management role with deep ownership of the outcome of projects.
- You have worked in fast-paced, high-growth environments like startups.
- You have the grit, resourcefulness, and resilience to thrive in novel, uncertain and constantly-changing business and regulatory environments.
This position will be based out of our Headquarters in South San Francisco, CA.