Business Development Manager at Skillz
Skillz is driving the future of entertainment by accelerating the convergence of sports, video games and media for an exploding mobile-first audience worldwide. The company’s platform empowers mobile game developers and players with democratized access to fun, fair and skill-based competition for real prizes, shifting the paradigm to make eSports accessible to anyone, anywhere with a mobile device.
Skillz helps developers build multi-million dollar game franchises by turning content into competitive social gaming properties for the world’s 2.6 billion gamers. The company has already worked with 13,000 game developers, leveraging its patented technology to host over 800 million tournaments for 18 million players worldwide.
This year, Skillz was recognized as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies and CNBC Disruptor 50(for the second time). In 2018, Skillz was listed as one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups and Entrepreneur Magazine’s 100 Brilliant Companies. In 2017, Inc. Magazine ranked Skillz the No. 1 fastest-growing private company in America.
The company is backed by leading venture capitalists, media companies, and professional sports luminaries, ranging from Liberty Global, Accomplice, Wildcat Capital, Telstra Ventures, and a founder of Great Hill Partners to the owners of the New England Patriots, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Mets, and Sacramento Kings.
Who we’re looking for:
Skillz is looking to hire an experienced, highly skilled and motivated Business Development professional who will generate and maintain strategic partnerships. This role is based in San Francisco and will report to the Vice President of Business Development. You will drive meaningful player acquisition for Skillz games through strategic partnerships by leveraging your network and ability to advance opportunities along a pipeline. You will work alongside cross-functional teams (Product, Legal, Finance, Leadership) to identify, execute and manage new distribution partnership opportunities. You are a person who is exceptionally skilled at building personal relationships and navigating complex organizations. You build trust easily and thrive in finding and establishing new business connections. You are thoughtful, personable and willing to do what it takes to successfully execute a partnership.What You Will Do:
- Work with cross functional teams to identify new opportunities to expand the Skillz platform to acquire new players across specific verticals
- Identify and engage with key contacts and prospective partner organizations to define and craft new partnerships
- Work with existing Skillz partners within specific verticals to define, create and optimize player acquisition partnerships that generate meaningful user acquisition
- Manage a pipeline of potential and current opportunities
- Create accurate performance forecasts and deliver upon projections
- Report regularly to the team on the status of key opportunities and efforts
- BS / BA degree, MBA preferred
- 3-5 years of experience in investment banking, management consulting or business development (media, gaming, online consumer)
- A strong network in specific, target verticals
- Sound business judgment, problem solving and analytical problem solving skills
- Exceptional written and verbal skills
- Gaming and esports industry knowledge a plus
- Ability to manage complex contract negotiations