Manager, Consumer Compliance at Coinbase
Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
This role is for a Manager for Consumer Compliance. The role can be based in SF, NY, or remote and reports directly to the Head of Enterprise Compliance. This leader will be responsible for the development and oversight of a consumer compliance program intended to oversee Coinbase’s compliance with laws and regulations related to Unfair, Deceptive, or Abusive Acts or Practices (“UDAAP”), Truth in Lending Act (“TILA”), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (“FDCPA”), “Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (“SCRA”), Military Lending Act (“MLA), Equal Credit Opportunity Act (“ECOA”), and any similar or related regulations. The mission of this function is to stretch across business lines to provide holistic standards for consumer compliance, including complaints handling and monitoring and testing. This function will be responsible for maintaining close contact with the business and ensuring a culture of compliance within the company.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Design and implement a consumer compliance program, responsive to relevant standards and regulations, including creation and / or review of relevant policies and procedures
- Design and develop a successful partnership with the product and business teams; advise and counsel on compliance risks and operational regulatory requirements
- Collaborate cross-functionally with the other senior Compliance and Legal roles
- Work cross-functionally to implement control infrastructure to support the rollout of new products and service offerings
- Work with stakeholder teams to develop reporting on complaints / complaints management, including trend analysis and risk mitigation
- Regularly report to senior management on the state of the consumer compliance program
- Prepare and maintain annual reports required under applicable rules
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Ability to collaborate with regulators, financial partners, and internal audit
- Work in a cross-functional and matrixed environment
- Understanding of traditional finance and its application to cryptocurrency
- Basic understanding and passion for the virtual currency market
- 7+ years consumer compliance experience
- Thorough understanding of UDAAP, ECOA, TILA, FDCPA and similar regulations
- Excellent interpersonal, writing, communication and organizational skills with the ability to work autonomously as well as collaboratively within a team environment.
- Excellent decision making, analytic and investigative abilities with attention to detail and accuracy.
Nice to haves:
- Working knowledge of blockchain technology and crypto market
- Experience either working inside a financial regulatory agency or managing regulatory compliance programs for a regulated financial institution
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact [email protected] coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: Ireland/EU, United Kingdom, and California. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.